Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Passenger

Default Princess from Copenhagen

I'm looking at a Princess 10 day cruise out of Copenhagen next summer. It goes to many places including Oslo, Finland, Russia, Estonia, and Poland. I of course have lots of questions regarding this and the shore excursions, but these are a few for now concerning Copenhagen.

Any tips on where to stay in Copenhagen? I'll be arriving a day early to make sure nothing goes wrong with my flight. Good hotel? Best way to get around? How expensive is a taxi to the port if I stay at the airport Hilton? I don't want to take the train because of all the luggage. We have an overnight on the ship in Copenhagen when we return to home port so sightseeing ahead of time isn't crucial. Oh one more thing. I've read hotel reviews that complain about no air conditioning. The Hilton has AC but is more expensive than many other hotels. Does it get pretty hot there on a regular basis in July? Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Admiral

I stayed at Scandic Webers pre-cruise and Airport Hilton post-cruise. Hilton definitely has AC and so did the Scandic. Scandic well located just a block from Tivoli and very close to Central Train Station. We also had an easy walk from there to Nyhavn. I liked the Scandic for the location, breakfast, and price (used Hilton points) but the rooms are tiny and drink prices (anywhere in Scandinavia) are atrocious. The Hilton is convenient as it is connected to the terminal. Made it very easy to head to our flight. Taxi from Airport to Scandic was around 225 Kroner. From Scandic to port around 60 Kroner. We used ship's transfers to the Airport Hilton as they were only $25 each so a better deal than taking a taxi to the Airport. I think taxi form port to Airport would have been over 250 Kroner.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Thank you. I went ahead and booked the cruise!!! July 9th from Copenhagen on the Crown Princess. I'm so excited. I haven't decided on hotel reservations because it it so far in the future.

If I have a direct flight (no transfers so smaller chance of delay) coming in at 1:20 in the afternoon is that enough time to board the ship? It doesn't leave until 8:00 and they want you on by 7:00. I know that sounds silly but I haven't done the whole customs thing in awhile and have no idea what their airport is like or how long a transfer to the pier will take. I normally arrive a day early but I'm curious. It would save big bucks to just arive on the day the ship leaves. Any help is appreciated.
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Just returned from Star Princess Rt Copenhagen on June 21- 10 night. I will try to answer some of your questions. The airport in Copenhagen is really easy to arrive and depart. We chose air thru princess with transfers and that was great. Upon arrival after collecting the luggage in baggage claim princess reps were there waiting for you and put you on a bus to transfer to the ship. If you are going in pre-cruise , I would recommend you take a taxi to the ship. Even though we arrived early, we were not allowed to board until noon. The morning we left the ship, princess had the airline checkin set up outside the ship under a tent and away we went....piece of cake. We were then taken to the airport via a bus, went thru security...The easist departure I have had in Europe from a cruise ship. The airport in Cph is really nice, lots of shops and a money exhange counter for all your extra money you did not spend (hahaha) to convert back to US money. If you a interested in Tivioli gardens, allow plenty of time , cannot see it in a couple of hours. It was very nice. Hope this helps.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Good idea to explore Copenhagen. It's a really lovely city. Make sure you take a canal tour. And don't worry, you don't need air conditioning.
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Have a wonderful time!!! We took this cruise a few years ago and loved it. We stayed at RAS Radisson near Tivoli Gardens, which was very nice. We had air conditioning there and did need it. We spent a few days both before and after the cruise seeing Copenhagen and rented a car one day to drive along the coast. For St. Petersburg, we used a Red October tour and it was well worth every penny. We toured on our own or used Princess tours for other ports. This was a cruise of a lifetime.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Beginner

jolynn,
I will be leaving Jun 29 for the same exact cruise. You depart the day I get back. Too bad there isn't any time in between to let you know how it went.
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Default Get there a day ahead!!!

Hi I took the same cruise last July and truust me you need to get to Copenhagen a day before. Not only are is exploring Copenhagen very interesting, but we had several complications with airports and other flight details. One of our flights was even canceled!! If it wasn't for booking a hotel a day ahead, we would have missed our cruise! Hope you book a hotel I know its a lot of money but it that or take a chance missing your cruise. Hope I helped you out if you have anymore questions feel free to reply back to me. Bye