Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Passenger

Default Seeing Europe via cruise or other means

Hello...we're thinking about seeing Europe next year and I have reservations about doing it via cruise ship. All the major lines seem to hit a new port each day and it seems like that might be too fast & hectic to get a real sense and flavor of each town, though you'd sure see a lot.

Our alternative would be to fly there, stay at local hotels and see several towns by train, etc.

Anyone w/ experience have thoughts on this. I know its a matter of preference, but this will likely only happen once for us since getting my wife on an airplane is no easy task

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Admiral

I have done Europe both ways. In my youth, I spent two months taking the trains around Europe. More recently, we have gone on a couple of "land trips" to Europe, too.

We have also done two cruises to Europe and have another one booked for next year. As you stated, having only a single day in a port is a problem. Therefore, we try to find cruises that overnight in some ports. In fact, next year, our cruise will have three full days in Venice. The other thing we like to do is to have a pre/cruise and or post/cruise of three or four days. Our first cruise in Europe we spent four days in Rome. Our most recent cruise we had three days in Copenhagen. On our next cruise we will have three days in Athens and three days in Monte Carlo.

Besides not having to repack, having all your meals prepared for you, and staying in luxurious surroundings, the real benefit of a cruise is that you do get to go to ports that you may not otherwise have time for on a land trip. Some ports can really be seen in a day. Others, you want to go back on a future trip, too.

If you think this is a once in a lifetime trip, I would recommend a cruise wrapped by long pre and post cruises. If you can swing it, one week precruise, two week cruise, and one week post-cruise. Even doing a seven day cruise wrapped by a three or four day pre and post cruise would be a wonderful trip.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Thats a good solution, thanks for the ideas Marc.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Our trip, next October will begin with 2 days in Prague, train to 2 days in Vienna, train to one day in Venice, train to Civitavecchia for a 12 night cruise (Greek Isles). Fly into Prague (from JFK) then home from Rome.

It adds time that some may not have, but, like you say, it's a long way over there....may not be back for a long time...or ever. So make the best/most of it.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old September 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Captain

Being from this side of the pond, I would definitely agree with Marc. The cost of travel, food & accomodation in Europe can be horrendously expensive, especially with the Dollar being so weak.

A while back we looked at spending some time travelling around the Med, and found that our best bets were a month railpass (which must be bought before you arrive here) which would allow you to roam around the interiors of all the countries as & when you wanted, along with a couple of shorter cruises to see the coastal towns & cities.

By the time you add on accomodation, food & entertainment to the land costs, the cruise portion worked out far cheaper than the land portion, as well as being of a well known standard etc.

Anyway, enough 'rambling' on from me, I hope this gives you some more thoughts,

Enjoy,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seeing Europe via cruise or other means

Hello Bob:

Which lines are you considering now? Looking at maybe organizing a group for a cruise sometime March - May '08.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon
Hello...we're thinking about seeing Europe next year and I have reservations about doing it via cruise ship. All the major lines seem to hit a new port each day and it seems like that might be too fast & hectic to get a real sense and flavor of each town, though you'd sure see a lot.

Our alternative would be to fly there, stay at local hotels and see several towns by train, etc.

Anyone w/ experience have thoughts on this. I know its a matter of preference, but this will likely only happen once for us since getting my wife on an airplane is no easy task

Bob
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas