Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Beginner

Default Why Travel Insurance Important ?

Do not forget to include travel insurance in your to do list before planning your travel. Most people take travel insurance lightly and never discuss travel insurance in detail with their travel agents. It is important to know what your travel insurance covers you against in the event of any unforeseen situations which may subject you to a financial loss or otherwise.
Travel insurance covers different features and it is up to you to choose and ensure you are adequately covered. The first and most common is Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage. Most of these policies cover cancellations due to weather, sudden illness, death and emergencies whilst at home or abroad.
Another common type of travel insurance is for medical emergencies. This type of coverage is particularly useful if you plan on traveling to underdeveloped countries, or for individuals with an on going illness that might require medical attention at some point during the trip. These policies will reimburse you for the cost of doctor visits, medication, and sometimes even medical evacuation out of the country. It's best to check with your insurance provider regarding the details, as travel health coverage policies vary widely.
It is also possible to obtain travel insurance that will cover non-refundable tickets in the event that a trip has to be cancelled for any number of reasons. Some coverage plans will sometimes cover missed connections as well, which can be a lifesaver in the event of a flight delay or over-crowded and/or confusing airport terminal.
For longer trips, or for frequent travelers, a comprehensive insurance package is probably the best value. These usually provide a wide variety of coverage, and some even allow you to choose what kinds of coverage to be included. Since it's impossible to know what problems might arise during your trip, these policies cover all the bases so that you have protection against monetary loss in the event of nearly any emergency.
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Captain

I don't believe insurance covers weather related delays or pre exisiting conditions unless stable for 3-6 mths prior to buying the insurance.
You need to read the fine print carefully.
I agree ...travel insurance is a must
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48
I don't believe insurance covers weather related delays or pre exisiting conditions unless stable for 3-6 mths prior to buying the insurance.
A vast majority of travel insurance policies will cover weather delays that cause missed flights or cover the expenses of getting to the ship's next port in the event you miss its departure or the cost of the cruise if you cannot connect, though no fault of your own, to the ship. Most major travel insurance plans do cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within 7, 14 or 21 days of paying your down payment.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Most major travel insurance plans do cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within 7, 14 or 21 days of paying your down payment.
My favorite insurance plan, CSA Freestyle, covers pre-existing conditions even when purchased at final payment and is competitive with other insuarnce policies in cost.

However, there are many times when travel insurance is a bad buy. For example, if your medical insurance already covers you overseas and you have medical evacuation insurance (e.g., MedJet), then you really don't need these travel policies as you can certainly self insure for the rest of the coverages as the potential expense is not unlimited.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Captain

[quote="Mike M"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48
Quote:
Most major travel insurance plans do cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within 7, 14 or 21 days of paying your down payment.

Take care,
Mike
It will cover you you IF your condition is stable
You MUST read & understand the fine print.
Not all insurance policies are equal
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Captain

I will never, ever cruise without Travel insurance again. We are currently booked on cruises #10 and #11 and have had insurance on all but one cruise. We booked that cruise only 5 days before sailing and thought (wrong) that we could not buy insurance that late.

We sailed from New Orleans two days before Katrina hit and lost our new car there. We had a death in the family two days into the cruise and had to fly home from Cozumel as soon as we docked. We could only get a flight to Houston. From Houston, we finally found a flight to Atlanta (Mobile airport was closed). Then finally rented a car from Atlanta to Mobile. This took us a total of two days to get home and almost $3000 out of pocket (just to get home).

So I will always buy the insurance in the future for both cruising and other travel plans.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days