Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Default DENRUS Question

My wife and I are contemplating the "Complete St. Petersburg" Value Excursion from DenRus, but I worry about being with too large a group and not being able to avoid the crowds. Has anyone taken this one? Do we need to spend the extra $$$ and go with a Denrus "Custom Tour"?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've done the DenRus tours during stops in St. Petersburg. They were excellent!! We used them for 2 full days.

Frankly, St Petersburg and all it has to see, is worth spending the extra $$ . Going privately you're at your pace, and can fit in an awful lot more in my opinion.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Did you have to get a visa if you do the tour on your own? Carnival says that if we don't book a ship tour we have to get our own visa.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that as long as you are taking a guided tour (be it a busload or a private car), the tour operator gets a blanket visa to cover you. When you need a visa is if you are doing an "on your own" tour without a guide.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
First Mate

Here is what Carnival stated:

If you intend to participate in a St Petersburg excursion purchased directly from Carnival Cruise Lines, you will not need a Russian visa. A blanket visa covering guests on a Carnival organized excursion is provided.

Independent guests, who are not in possession of a valid Russian visa, will not be permitted to leave the ship.

So, I don't know the answer to the question, but I would really like to know as we leave in July.

Kathy
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Independent guests, who are not in possession of a valid Russian visa, will not be permitted to leave the ship.
All the cruise lines like to use this type of sentence to confuse passengers. All the private tour companies arrange visas for their guests to.

If you go totally on your own, with no co. or guide, you do have to have a visa.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Default Denrus

We took this tour and were very pleased with it. There were four of us traveling together and we found 6 more people on mates to join our group. The people on the ship excursions were sitting on board while we were leaving the parking lot. We had no waits, the guide was great, and the price was cheaper than the cruise excursion. I dealt with a very helpful employee names Helga. Our guide was also Helga. If you decide to take this tour, send a note and I can give you a couple of suggestions of things to avoid.
Carol
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Beginner

HI,

When we went on the Denrus Tour which was a 2 day complete tour. There were about 24 people on our bus. I enjoyed the tour and we saw exactly the same sights as the ship excursion through Princess. We thought about the custom tour to cover a few other locations, but felt that we got more than enough with their group tour.