Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Captain

Default Europe/Transatlantic with Kids?

We are doing a transatlantic with our kids (17&8) in December. Our ports of call are Genoa, Marseille, Morocco and Portugal and then a few in the Caribbean. Do any of you have experience with taking your kids to any of these locations that you would be willing to share? Even if you haven't personally taken your own kids but maybe saw kids visiting particular sites that they seemed to enjoy and maybe even more importantly maybe you saw kids somewhere and you wondered "what on earth are their parents thinking" I'd appreciate any of your advice.

Thanks so Much!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Hi Michelle. We are big fans of traveling with our children. It gives them such a wonderful perspective, and it's educational. We spent five weeks last summer in Europe with our kids and saw lots of other families. They all seemed to be having a great time. We are traveling for 11 weeks in Europe this summer with our kids and are counting down the days. We have traveled to a few of your ports. What types of activities do you enjoy as a family? Off the cuff (and assuming you are active)...
Genoa- Cinque Terre: getting there by train will be time consuming. You may want to consider hiring a car for the day. The hike between Monterosso and Vernazza is one of our favorites (and also closest to you- if you rent a car, there is a large parking lot in Monterosso).
Genoa- Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino are great- there is a walking path from SML to Portofino with amazing views.
Marseille- SO many options from here. Provence is one of our favorite areas of France. I highly recommend a car and maybe picking two places to see. We love St Remy, Les Baux, Avignon and Arles. Aix en Provence is fairly close to Marseille and easily reached by train.
Portugal- we were in Lisbon for a week. St Gorges Castle, Estoril and beach areas were our favorites.

Have a great trip and please let us know how the transatlantic trip goes!
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Europe/Transatlantic with Kids?

Hi:

What are your kiddos into? I'm always looking at spots from the kiddo's angle since I've got 40 (scout leader<g>). I tend to scout places out in person before I drag out the kiddos as I usually like them to come back with the same number of fingers and toes.<g>

Let's see, y'all are:

Tue Dec 16 Genoa, Italy 6:00pm
Wed Dec 17 Marseille, France 7:00am 7:00pm
Thu Dec 18 Barcelona, Spain 8:00am 8:00pm
Sat Dec 20 Casablanca, Morocco 8:00am 10:00pm
Mon Dec 22 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 8:00am 5:00pm
Sun Dec 28 Guadeloupe 8:00am 5:00pm
Mon Dec 29 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 5:00pm
Tue Dec 30 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am
Wed Dec 31 San Juan, Puerto Rico 2:00am

I'm:
Tue Nov 4 Lisbon, Portugal 5:00pm
Wed Nov 5 Portimao, Portugal 8:00am 5:00pm
Thu Nov 6 Cadiz, Spain 7:00am 7:00pm
Fri Nov 7 *Casablanca*, Morocco 6:00am 8:00pm
Sun Nov 9 *Funchal*, Madeira, Portugal 8:00am 4:00pm
Mon Nov 10 Lanzarote, Canary Islands 10:00am 6:00pm
Tue Nov 11 Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Have also BTDT in St. Thomas a few times.

Funchal port looks to have
http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/s...heme-park.html and http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/b...aqua-park.html for y'all while I'm more into http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/scuba-diving.html BTW, webcam Madiera at http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-01.html

Casablanca is real iffy, kiddo-wise. Hmmm.....Ain Diab area? See also http://www.global.org.ma/aiwc/awc13.htm

St. Thomas - toss them in an Atlantis sub to see shark alley! Else, its Coral World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
We are doing a transatlantic with our kids (17&8) in December. Our ports of call are Genoa, Marseille, Morocco and Portugal and then a few in the Caribbean. Do any of you have experience with taking your kids to any of these locations that you would be willing to share? Even if you haven't personally taken your own kids but maybe saw kids visiting particular sites that they seemed to enjoy and maybe even more importantly maybe you saw kids somewhere and you wondered "what on earth are their parents thinking" I'd appreciate any of your advice.

Thanks so Much!
Michelle
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas