Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Default Hotels In London

Can some on help me with some nice Hotels with a good location in London England?

Thanks for any help.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Captain

Hi Tom, without knowing your budget or expectations of a hotel this is extremely difficult, there are thousands of hotels & good B&Bs in & around London, from the chain groups such as Novotel, Ibis, PremierInn (right next to Tower Bridge), Marriott, Crowne Plaza, Hilton & so on to the top hotels.

There is a good website http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/ which allow you to specify your needs & finds a best match.

Hope it is useful, and have a great time,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Familiar Face

Default London hotels

We have had the same dilemma, we are going to be there early August and had problems finding a place. So depending on when you are going I wouldn't leave it to long. we are staying near Hyde Park the Royal Lancaster. It was reccommended to us by our travel agent asit it is close to central London and is easy to get to all the main attractions. A good web site is London.com
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Admiral

You can check them out on TripAdvisor.com. Some look nice until you read another person's experience. We are staying at a Hilton that we got for under $200 USD. It includes a free dinner the first night and breakfast each day.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

If you belong to any hotel rewards programs such as Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors, you should be able to get a room thru them. Both Mariott and Hilton have excellent locations throughout London
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
Yeoman

Check www.londontown.com. I don´t really know if their prices are good but the website is easy to use and whey have a map with the locations and also the offered prices.

If you shall go on a cruise after your stay, find a hotel near Victoria station where the trains to Dover leaves from.

If you want an hotel in a quiet area (at least at night), stay in Kensington. On the cheap side (cheap for their standard in London) I recommend Jurys Inn (multiple hotels in or near Kensington) and if money is no problem, stay at Mandarin Oriental.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

We finish our cruise on Weds and leave early Sun morning. We thought we would stay at Heathrow Sat night to make the plane but are unsure about Weds-Sat. Should we stay at Heathrow and take the express in or stay in the city?
I don't want to spend $320/night which is the Carnival post-cruise package price. I think we will spend the days doing the typical London sight since it has been years since I have been there.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Yeoman

If you don´t use your room at all during the day it´s okej to stay close to Heathrow all nights and take the express or the tube into city everyday.

We like to have our room in the city so that we can go there during the day if we want to, leave things we have bought etc. It´s also nice to be able to go to the room and change clothes before having dinner.

Which dates are you in London?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Familiar Face

Aug6-9 nights and Sat night we will stay at Heathrow for an early departure the next day.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Yeoman

First I thought that $320/night seemed a little high but then I realized that I don´t know how many persons that´s for. I think that you have mentioned cabins (more than one cabin) earlier and if that means that you need more than one room, $320/night seems cheap!

London is an expensive town, the US$ is very weak right now and all the nights are in the middle of the week (=no weekend prices) so $320/night seems like a good price if it´s for more than two persons.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Familiar Face

Carnival stated: $160 per person based on double occupancy. I am finding that London (and Europe) is quite expensive.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Yeoman

Pam, I looked on www.londontown.com and find something that might interest you. Three nights (6-9/8) on Thistle Kensington Gardens cost £305 (that´s around $600, right?) so that´s around $200/night for two persons. The price is with breakfast and taxes included. Can that be something for you?
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Familiar Face

Not bad at all however I would prefer not to have a meal. Has anyone stayed at Travelodge? Very basic but seems to be somewhat near tube places etc. Too basic? We could stay in Surrey (I think) for free and take the fast train into Victoria each day. Would that be a hassle?

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

You don´t have to eat the breakfast! It´s still much cheaper!
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Captain

Default Travelodge

We've stayed at a few Travelodges, and they are exactly as advertised, clean, comfortable, & convenient. but not somewhere you'd want to be stuck for more than a couple of days.

There are quite a few dotted around London, so you should be able find some at reasonable prices.

ONE WARNING though, on a UK Consumer TV program last year, there were reports that some of these style 'hotels' keep the prices down by overbooking, and if you turn up after the rooms have all been taken, it was shown to be a case of 'tough luck', and would simply suggest you try other hotels in the group, but these could be 15 or 20 miles away!!
Not sure if they had to change their policy, but if you do plan on using them, please check.
There is an interesting thread on the subject at
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=289947

Happy Cruising,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Hi Tom

I hope you enjoy your vacation & your stay in London.

My choice in London is the Hoxton Hotel is near to Old street & Liverpool Street in the city part of London. Its very modern & clean, you get a lot for the price, it has been open for under 2 years. The restaurant is wonderfull & resonable you can also order food from the bar. The earlier you can book the better your room rate. Why dont you take a look at them online.

I too agree that the travel lodges are very good value- they also can give some locations a better rate for booking early. Ive booked the one at Covent Garden- Holborn.

I booked my daughter a room for 2 nights for her 18th at a private hotel just off Marble Arch in the west end which is great for shopping, Hyde park & Kensington. It was $140 per night with breakfast the best I could find in that area. My daughter said the breakfast was great but didnt like the bathroom share & the room wasnt so great. She said there were lots of Americans at the hotel!

Laterooms website is good too.