CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Pompeii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/352624-amalfi-coast-sorrento-pompeii.html)

charles65 June 23rd, 2008 04:25 PM

Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Pompeii

Just returning from a fabulous experience on Voyager of the Seas Med cruise
We used the Sorrentosilverstar for Pompeii Sorrento and Positano. We started off quite early in the Morning 8:00am but every minute of the day was worth. the first stop ( 2 hours) was at Pompeii ruins, where a private guide was waiting for us. We didn’t expect such a memorable experience round the Roman city where you just feel like back to 2000 years ago.
The satisfaction of having taken that tour continued when we moved on to Sorrento. The old town centre was just what we wanted for our free time shopping, the icing on the cake was our lunch in an old fisherman village. After a hair rising drive along the Amalfi coast we stopped at Positano, the most romantic place. We never wanted to leave!!!!
www.sorrentosilverstar.com
We highly recommend this company!!!!

Janie August 31st, 2008 03:00 AM

Hi charles65
Just coming from the same med cruise, in Naples I used the same company, the highlight of our vacation was the Amalfi coast trip with our driver/guide Maximo.
Another vote for Sorrentosilverstar. :D

hondagirl November 4th, 2008 03:55 PM

Hi
I am a question about Sorrento Silver star..did you pay in advance or after the tour.Thanks

charles65 November 10th, 2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondagirl
Hi
I am a question about Sorrento Silver star..did you pay in advance or after the tour.Thanks

We paid after the tour.
Cls.

cutiecat November 14th, 2008 08:59 PM

LOVED Pompeii! was there in June...blown away by what i saw there :)

hondagirl December 9th, 2008 02:12 PM

Charles thank you for your recommendation. We just got back from Naples on the Galaxy and had a wonderful tour with Luisa and Massimo. We went to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. They were knowledgeable and fun. I highly recommend sorrentosilverstar.

Giuly January 20th, 2009 02:20 PM

I highly recommend Giuseppi De Toro private Driver/Guide

49erfan January 22nd, 2009 05:47 PM

did you use royal carribean tours or find a different company. I want to do almafi coast/naples/capri.

cutiecat January 22nd, 2009 09:03 PM

We used Royal's tour of Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii but you could probably find something online. Having never been I took no chances but were on board with plenty of people that used outside companies and had a fabulous time.

luvmytigs May 10th, 2009 03:12 PM

My family chose the below company for our tour of the Amalfi coast. We reserved by credit card but we only paid after the tour. Our driver was terrific (cannot recall his name) and met us exactly as planned. He got us back in plenty of time to leave Napoli. He made suggestions and ensured that we had a perfect day.

Gennaro Ruocco(for Sorrentolimo)
web www.sorrentolimo.com
e-mail info@sorrentolimo.com
Phone from abroad 39-338-1843651
Fax from abroad 39-081-8772230

Snoozeman May 25th, 2009 09:01 AM

Is two hours long enough at Pompeii?

Texray1 June 23rd, 2009 03:10 PM

2 hours at Pompeii was enough for my wife and I. I am a history buff and if I had been by myself I might have wandered for several more hours but I know the wife couldn't handle that. What we did see satisfied me and I got to take a ton of pictures.

So I guess the answer depends on your level of interest. If you are a history teacher you might want to take tons of notes and draw some maps or something, which would take more time. But we didn't feel rushed at all and I'm guessing we were there about 2 hours.

Magnolia Blossom August 14th, 2009 03:14 PM

Snoozeman - I think two hours is about right for pompeii. While it is much larger than I anticipated it isn't huge and all of it is not accessible to tourists.

At the entrance was a cameo factory and we got to shop for about a half hour and watch the cameos being carved. Amazing. I'm not a shopper and usually hate these sort of "opportunities' thrown into a tour but this was really interesting. I think too, we were waiting for our group to be called to enter the site since there were quite a few tour groups there that day.

Snoozeman August 19th, 2009 07:52 PM

suekingbhs February 17th, 2011 03:44 PM

We used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi http://www.DriveAmalfi.com for our tour of the Amalfi Coast & Pompeii and 2 Hours was enough time to visit Pompeii

Trackypup February 17th, 2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suekingbhs (Post 1353062)
We used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi DriveAmalfi for our tour of the Amalfi Coast & Pompeii and 2 Hours was enough time to visit Pompeii

We used Salvatore in 2008 on our Greek Island Cruise. Highly recommend. God I love the Amalfi Coast. We had 90 minutes there, which gave a decent overview. You really could spent days there.

anniegb February 17th, 2011 04:21 PM

Yes I agree - I have spent 2 weeks on the Amalfi coast - still not long enough.

Annie