Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Beginner

Default visiting rome on easter sunday - any advice on good or bad

We will be visiting Europe for the first time next April on NCL Jade 12 night eastern med cruise. We will be in Rome on easter sunday, which I realized after booking the cruise.
I've thought about switching to late March instead but I got a great price on this cruise thru cruise compete and not sure if I can change it easily.

Has anyone been in Rome on easter? Do you think it will be so crazy crowded at main sites - colloseum, parthenon, vatican that we won't see anything?
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Hi there, I was working out in Italy a few years back & as we were there over a long weekend, we decided to take the train into Rome. We couldn't work out why the transport system was so busy, until it dawned on us, Yes, it was Easter Sunday - duh!!!

But having said that, most of the crowds were sat around the Vatican waiting for the Pope's speach - after all that was what they had all come for. So the rest of the attractions were no more busy than usual.

Obviously entrance into the Vatican is out of the question, but you can still get close enough to see the buildings, square and pillars etc.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM
First Mate

Hi!!!
We were there a few years ago,very disapointed because the Sistin Chapel is not open on Sunday. Have a nice cruise anyway.
MTL
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Passenger

It will be busy and crowded. The vatican museum and sistine chapel will be closed, but the colosseum is open (the Pope visits the colosseum too). Keep in mind that the day after easter is an Italian holiday, so you'll probably get the chance to see some local festivals if you're still in Italy. I say go for it, don't let the crowds deter you.