Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tipping in N Europe,,guides, waiters & waitresses,bellho

Just wondering what a fair amount would be for a shore excursion guide in Northern Europe,,like in St Petersberg or Stockholm or Berlin. I don't want to be cheap, but I am not wealty (now) either (thanks stock market). Also, I read some other thread aobut how tipping too much in Europe is considered rude. So I want to know about tipping in restuarants, tipping the cab driver, tipping the bell hop, tipping the tour guide, tipping the bus driver etc. What is a fair amount. I will be in Copenhagen for 3 days and want to do the right thing. NOt worried abou the ship,,I have that covered.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Captain

Before you tip in the restaurants check to see if it is already included in the bill.
some places in Europe it is included as service charge you should see it noted at bottom of
menu.

I another forum they recommend for guides 10-15% of the tour price.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Something else to think about, in Europe the expectancy is very different to the US. Over here we tip for good service & not simply because it is expected.

I know that this can cause a lot of issues when European's travel over to the States & don't even think about tipping because we are not used to it.
Most staff over here are paid a proper wage (see the amount we pay for a meal!!) & the tip is seen as your way of saying thank you to the staff for a job well done.

In general we do not tip taxi drivers (again ask for a rough price before taking a taxi, but make sure you are sat down !!), and for tour guides & drivers it is quite the norm to simply put loose change or a couple of folded up notes into their tips box, or hand.

Don't worry, no-one will think you are being tight, and most people won't bother leaving anything

Have a great time,

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral

More useful info!! Thanks Alan.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302