CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Mediteranean cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/353634-mediteranean-cruise.html)

chaching July 17th, 2008 01:11 PM

Mediteranean cruise

I am starting to work on a famly cruise to the Mediteranean next summer and I am haveing trouble trying to chose a ship and Itinerary. We ahve cruised on Princess, Celebrity and Holland Ameircan, so have decided to chose one of those lines. Any suggestions on the best line for this type of trip?

We do not know if we want to go on a Western or Eastern mediterranen cruise, but we really want to hit as many ports in Italy as possible., Does anyone know anything about the ports of, Mikonos, Istanbu, Kusadasi, Rohdes, Athens and Naples theae are some of the ports I have seen on the Intineraries . We are felxable but there are so many ports to chose from we are having a diffcult itme making a final decsion. I will be with my teenage childeren who are also have cruised with us several times

Onre thought we had was to take a cruise that orginates in Rome so we could spend some pre and post cruise time in that area., Any suggestions on rome hotesl. Any assitance would be appreciated,

GoGoTrvl July 17th, 2008 03:03 PM

I was in your shoes last year; I planned our family cruise this past May. We actually booked the Princess first but cancelled and switched to Celebrity because of the Itinerary and how long we would be in port. From what I remember, Princess had Mykonos, Istanbul, and Kusadasi. But Celebrity had Santorini and Dubrovnik which the majority of my group opted. I think either of the ships are fine, but you need to decide what’s more important, the ship or the itinerary. And if you can’t decide, think of the cost.

There’s a lot of places to stay in Rome, I guess it depends what you’re looking for. Here are some that I know are recommended. Hotel Mozart (near the Spanish Steps), and Hotel Alimandi (near the Vatican). But check out www.Venere.com for hotels and then read the reviews on tripadvisor.

Here’s my experience with the ports you mentioned:

Mykonos – DIY by bus or rent a car. This can be a beach day if you want. But if you want to see more archeological sights, take a boat ride to Delos Island. It’s about a ½ hr ride from Mykonos. Or just explore the town of Hora which is Mykonos’ capital.

Istanbul- I would do a private tour here, there are so many things to see and do. The Grand Bazaar was amazing, and if you or anyone in your family loves to cook, definitely visit the Spice Market. Have lunch/drink at Beyoglu which is an area that has a lot of restaurants and shops. An interesting tour would be the Harem & Treasury in Topkapi Palace.

Kusadasi – I would suggest taking a private tour here too. A cool pix to take is at the Latrina which is the oldest toilet in the world w/your kids doing a sitting pose on it. LOL. Sorry, we did and it was funny.

Rhodes- Have a pix taken at the Colossus of Rhodes which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World, definitely visit Old Town which is a UNESCO site. And there’s some really nice beaches along the coast to Faliraki and Lindos. There’s a lot of roof top restaurants in Lindos as well as the archeological sites.

Athens – we opted not to do this port DIY, because my group didn’t want to walk 25 min to the metro, I would have loved to since the metro has some amazing archeological pieces on display. A mini museum in the metro. As you move further east, the temp gets warmer/hotter. The Acropolis is an amazing site to visit; we had fun walking around the Plaka and having lunch. We even stopped at a beach for a bit.

Naples – Traffic is terrible here so we did a private driver in this port. We drove along the Amalfi Coast (stopped at Sorrento, Positano, Revello), and spent 2 hours in Pompeii. This was a pretty relaxing day; we saw and did what we wanted to do.

katlady July 17th, 2008 04:38 PM

I decide to just look at some Princess cruises because I like that line. They do some that leave from Venice and end near Rome (Civitavecchia). I personally like this one. 12 Night Greek Isles Sailing Date(s): May 29, 2009 (I was thinking it won't be to hot).

I really liked Venice so a pre stay in Venice and a post stay in Rome would be fun. :D In Rome I stayed at the Hotel Miami. It was an okay hotel in a good location and inexpensive so it worked on my budget. The biggest issue about this hotel the shower was smaller the on the cruise ship. :shock:

In Venice I really enjoyed our hotel called la locanda di orsaria. My mom has knee problems so I booked her a ground floor room number 54. Again on a budget so don't expect a fancy hotel on the water, it is in the main part of Venice. It's walking distance from the train station so it was easy to get to. The hotel staff was very friendly and great service. Here is a link to the hotel. http://www.locandaorsaria.com/en/home.php

Cruise Itinerary:

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Venice, Italy --- ---

2 Venice, Italy --- 1:00 p.m.

3 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

4 Corfu, Greece 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

6 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 6:00 a.m. 5:45 p.m.

7 Mykonos, Greece 7:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

8 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

9 Rhodes, Greece 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

10 Santorini, Greece 7:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

11 At Sea --- ---

12 Naples, Italy 7:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

13 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 4:00 a.m. ---

chaching July 18th, 2008 02:07 PM

mederterrian

Thanks for the information. At this time I am leaning towards booking a 12 day cruise on the new Celeberty ship. and then spending some time before and after teh crusie exporing Italy. Celeberty may be a ltiile better for the kids then Holand America.