Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Beginner

Default Europe River Cruises

We have been on Uniworld and enjoyed it. Are thinking of Tulips & Windmills in 2009 and looking for comparison information on Viking, Vantage and Avalon Waterways. Any information would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Passenger

My parents used Viking last year from Vienna to Amsterdam and they had a fantastic time. Here's a link of a review on the Viking Sky:
http://cruises.about.com/od/vikingri...ing_spirit.htm

They chose Viking because most of the excursions were included. If it helps, Viking was given an award this year for best overall cruiseline for river cruising.

I have read positive reviews on the Vantage and I did read a review of Avalon and it said the rooms were smaller and service was lacking in the dining room.
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Both Viking River abd Avalon Waterways have some of the newest boats and best rates you will find. Uniworld is a good company, too, but these others have tons of experience and now cater to the American audience so they know exactly what you want in a river cruise.

I just did an article on Viking River:

Viking River Cruises - Better Than Ever by Paul Motter
Americans flocking to European river cruises in record numbers? What's the secret behind the success? Go>
12-14-09

And I also recently did one on Avalon - you decide and let us know:

Avalon Waterways: Next-Generation River Boats 21st-century European river boats offer the amenities of modern cruise ships; Internet and balconies
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Admiral

We just came back from a Christmas Markets river cruise on AMA Waterways Amacello. It was pretty good. Cabins were 170 sq ft and had a french balcony. Food was pretty good but menu was limited. Wine included with dinner was ok. Excursions were generally excellent. I would recommend AMA primarily for the ships along with decent food.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14