CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Weather/Clothing for Spring Transatlantic Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/354009-weather-clothing-spring-transatlantic-cruise.html)

Jackie Robison July 25th, 2008 11:36 AM

Weather/Clothing for Spring Transatlantic Cruise

My DH and I are scheduled to take a Transatlantic cruise beginning on April 25, 2009 and were wondering: what kinds of clothing to take, and what kind of weather to expect? Our ports will be Ponta Delgada, Azores, Vigo, Spain, Paris, France and finally London. What with airline restrictions regarding weight in both in the U.S. and Britain, we dont' want to carry anything too heavy and we don't want to dress too warm/too cool. Any advice would be appreciated.

GoGoTrvl July 25th, 2008 03:41 PM

Friends of my parents did transatlantic on celebrity. During the crossing they said it was upper 50s to low 60s, not factoring the wind chill.

As for the ports, We went in the beginning of May, with temps in the high 60s and mid 70s. We experienced a thunderstorm in Spain on our arrival, but sunny and cool the next day. And we had light showers in France. Every port started out cloudy, cool, and breezy, but by mid morning it warmed up. My best advice would be to layer since the weather is so unpredictable. The friends each brought a light jacket and windbreaker, while we each brought a light jacket and sweater for layering. Since we flew from SFO, it wasn’t a big deal because we were already wearing them. Neither of us brought umbrellas since Celebrity provided them. Definitely make sure you check the weather before you leave.

Rev22:17 July 28th, 2008 08:17 PM

Re: Weather/Clothing for Spring Transatlantic Cruise

Jackie Robison,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
My DH and I are scheduled to take a Transatlantic cruise beginning on April 25, 2009 and were wondering: what kinds of clothing to take, and what kind of weather to expect? Our ports will be Ponta Delgada, Azores, Vigo, Spain, Paris, France and finally London. What with airline restrictions regarding weight in both in the U.S. and Britain, we dont' want to carry anything too heavy and we don't want to dress too warm/too cool. Any advice would be appreciated.

At that time of year, i would bring two or three sweaters and a waterproof spring/fall jacket. If you get an exceptionally cool day, you can wear the jacket over a sweater. Just make sure that one of the sweaters will coordinate with each of your daytime outfits.

Gents probably will want to wear slacks during the daytime as well as in the evening for most of the cruise, so bring four or five pairs. Two pairs of shorts probably will be enough, as it's unlikely that you'll want to wear shorts after the third or fourth day. Ladies who prefer to wear skirts or dresses during the daytime may well appreciate pantyhose.

Norm.

balabusta January 30th, 2009 11:41 PM

thanks so much for the advice concerning clothing. We too are going on a repositioning cruise to europe, departing from Miami on April 25th on Celebrity's Century. I honestly had no idea that it could be that cold in europe, early in the morning, at that time of year. I will definitely bring a light jacket and a few sweaters and take more pants and less shorts! Rob and I are really looking forward to this cruise!