Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Walking in Rome

Can anyone tell me how much walking is involved in getting to & from the "major" sites in Rome? We will be there for one day only & had planned to take a ship tour which would include all of the highlights in a 10 hour tour. My husband has difficulty walking long distances (he will have a hip replacement when we return) & we wondered if this would prove to be too much.
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Admiral

If you can't walk, visiting Rome is almost a waste of time. You can wave at St Peter's; forget the Vatican Museums, have a hard time touring the Forum, and have limited access to the Coliseum. That said, if you can find a good guide who is experienced in handling mobility impaired visitors, you might get to see some of Rome and make it a worthwhile visit. I cannot imagine a ship's tour being as accomodating as a private guide in this instance.

In some buildings that look like they just have stairs, you will find hidden elevators; we took one in Villa Borghese. A good guide can create an itinerary that could work for you. My comments at the top are based on distances; wheel chair with a strong pusher can overcome many of these limitations.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Admiral

As stated if walking is badly impaired then seeing a lot of the atttractions is limited, especially as even the main city is quite hilly.
Have you contacted the cruise line of ship to ask them what they think?
Would your husband mind if you were to go into some of the sites whilst he remained on the coach, or sat outside & looked at the exteriors?

Also have a think about how easy it will be for your husband to sit on the coach for a long period of time - the drive in & out can be well over an hour if you hit traffic.

Is there a day at sea afterwards when he could relax in case he does overdo the walking?

Unfortunately only your husband, with the guidance of the ship's tour office and your own physician, can make the final decision.

Hope you both have a great time,

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Admiral

I agree with others. The Vatican Museums have a lot of stairs and a lot of walking is needed.

However, if you catch the "hop on hop off" bus at the train station and just ride it through town you will see alot without walking. The bus has audio head phones and if your husband can make it up the stairs I like the top because it's great for taking pictures. Here is a link to the bus we took. http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Walking in Rome

Georgie Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Can anyone tell me how much walking is involved in getting to & from the "major" sites in Rome? We will be there for one day only & had planned to take a ship tour which would include all of the highlights in a 10 hour tour. My husband has difficulty walking long distances (he will have a hip replacement when we return) & we wondered if this would prove to be too much.
I have good news. Most of the major cruise lines offer a shore excursion called "Easy Tour of Rome" or something similar that's especially geared for those who have difficulty walking. Such a tour would be ideal for your husband's situation, as it would allow you to see some of the city's highlights. In one day, you'll barely have time to scratch the surface anyway, so perhaps you'll be able to return after your husband recovers from his surgery to take in the attractions that are inaccessible now.

BTW, note that most cruise lines also offer similar "Easy" tours in other ports of call.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.