CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Malaga, Spain (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/354894-malaga-spain.html)

AF1 August 16th, 2008 10:40 AM

Malaga, Spain

Can anyone tell me if there are any interesting things to Do or see in Malaga? Thanks. :D

kandajones August 16th, 2008 11:38 AM

The town itself has a great & livley beachfront & promenade area as well as plenty of shopping and eating opportunities.
However we took a "coach & walk" tour here which covered the more historical (and thankfully cooler) parts of the town as well as driving us all up to the castle which overlooks the whole region.

Sorry that's all we have on it.

Alan & Katrina

rjrob8 December 7th, 2008 04:59 AM

The best highlight in the area in AlHambra. It is 2.5hrs drive from Malaga. In Malaga they have nice beaches which is walking distance from the port. Walking through downtown is also nice. You can a cup of coffee with hot milk in a downtown cafe.
There is also the ruins of a Moor fortress right by the port named as Al-Qasaba. Definetaly worth going.

katlady December 10th, 2008 10:09 AM

Malaga, Spain is where Pablo Picasso was born. There is a museum walking distance from where the shuttle drops you off. It's a super long pier so a shuttle drops you off near the front.

If I were to do it again I would not book a shore excursion and instead head to the museum then people watch from a cafe and of course buy my scarf. I got a real pretty one in Malaga. Here is a link to the museum website.
http://www.museopicassomalaga.org/

We booked the Nerja caves, it was a disappointment. The Carnival cruise description says, "Learn that it is estimated the caves were inhabited between 20,000 BC and 1,800 BC and in its interior, you will find prehistoric paintings of animals and human figures and tools used during this time. " We never saw these paintings and when my hubby asked about it we learned they were way out high in the caves where tours don't go. It's a long drive to Nerja Caves and the tour guide was a soft talker it made him hard to hear. I have perfect hearing and my dad was born in Portugal so the Spanish accent was not a problem for me.

Parrot Mom February 22nd, 2009 08:13 AM

MALAGA-our favorite port

We love Malaga.. what is there to do!! First, take a taxi up to the little village in the mountains of Mijas..wander around, see the donkey taxis, wander in around the cobblestoned streets. The big thing is Alhambra in Granada. I had read a book recently about Queen isabella and the caves where the gypsies lived, but I gather they just skip over the cave part....but it is for those who are able to do extensive walking...and the Marina which we hope to go back to this trip.. and oh yes.. the Picasso Museum.lol.. On our first trip there the driver dropped us off downtown to find an optomotrist to fix Parrot Pops glasses.. and we found on a side street a little fish restaurant for lunch..heaven.. :roll:

jeana February 28th, 2009 09:54 PM

Hi Parrot Mom,
Do you remember approximately how much the taxi to Mijas was? I am thinking of following your route this summer.

Thanks!
Jeana

Parrot Mom February 28th, 2009 10:17 PM

Taxi in Malaga

LOL No, I don't. .but there is a new terminal in Malaga and cabs outside the terminal.. He drove us to the lookout which was nice, but would rather have the time to shop..lol.. This trip I bought a beautiful Murano glass bracelet.. would have bought a necklace if I found one I fell in love with..What I would also recommend is that you ask him to take you on the way back to the big Marina..gorgeous, Going back and I'm going to the Marina so look around, have lunch. If you'd like to see the pictures I'd be delighted to send them.. parrotmom@verizon.net

merry cruiser March 11th, 2009 01:46 PM

We are crusing on NOTS which will stop in Malaga and would love more info about it. Parrotmom, could you send us those photos and tell us where the marina is located? Is there enough to see around Malaga if we just walk, or should we sign up for an excursion? Thanks for any help you can give.

Parrot Mom March 11th, 2009 04:12 PM

MALAGA/MIJAS

Quote:

Originally Posted by merry cruiser
We are crusing on NOTS which will stop in Malaga and would love more info about it. Parrotmom, could you send us those photos and tell us where the marina is located? Is there enough to see around Malaga if we just walk, or should we sign up for an excursion? Thanks for any help you can give.

WRITE TO me at parrotmom@verizon.net so i can send the pictures

Ephraim March 15th, 2009 06:41 PM

I was in Malaga in April 2007. The most important thing I can tell you is that the port is huge and our ship was in the final berth... a cool 2km from the front gate. RCL offered a paid transfer but we walked to the gate, maybe that was our mistake. We definitely took a cab to get back.

I would suggest getting a cab to go to Castillo de Gibralfaro and then if you are a real walker, walk down. But if you aren't, grab a cab or just as easily take a bus back to the Alcazaba, which is right next to the main part of town. There are wonderful views of the city from the castle all around. The Alacabaza is a walk uphill. Wonderful architecture if you can do it. And there is a nice cathedral/church in town. The Plaza del Toro is also visible from the castle.

Malaga is the capital of Andalucia. Andalucia is the province where Tapas originated, so it's a great place for some authentic tapas. If you have the courage, they are known for their sea urchin tapas. Try the Mercado del Carmen an authentic local market and look for Rincón de Pepe if you can. I've been told that it's one of the best places and very authentic (and off the tourist beaten path).

Here is a link to some of my pictures from that trip... http://picasaweb.google.ca/JustEphra...07AprilMalaga#

jeana March 15th, 2009 06:56 PM

Thanks Ephraim! That is a great synopsis of how to spend a day in Malaga! Can't wait. And yes... I'll definitely give those urchins a try!

Jeana

kandajones March 15th, 2009 06:57 PM

Many thanks for posting the pictures Ephraim, I only hope we're not that far away from the dock gate :wink:

As a rough guide, how long would you say we should allow for looking around the Castillo and the Alcazaba - we are average pace walkers & don't analyse everything to the fine detail.

Best regards,

Alan & Katrina

Ephraim March 15th, 2009 07:02 PM

I think we took about an hour and a half at the castillo walking around and looking at all the angles and the tops of all the buildings. It has quite a really nice view. About another hour or so at the Alakabaza. I'm a walker so I was running around looking but by that time and the walk to the front of the port most of the rest of the party didn't make it all the way to the top at the Alakabaza.... oh and when you get to the fork near the top at the Alakabaza... think left. Not much on the right. Nice gardens there, too.

Parrot Mom March 21st, 2009 01:03 AM

NEW TERMINAL

WE were in Malaga mid-September and there was a brand new terminal. Previously we were transported by a bus to the edge of a park where there were guides and horse drawn carriages.

Rev22:17 March 26th, 2009 09:05 PM

Re: Malaga, Spain

AF1,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Can anyone tell me if there are any interesting things to Do or see in Malaga? Thanks. :D

I found the shore excursion tour of Alhambra Palace to be quite fascinating! Alhambra was the last palace to remain in the hands of the Moorish rulers. Isabella and Ferdinand delayed funding of Columbus's first voyage to search for a westward route to China until it fell.

Norm.

Parrot Mom March 26th, 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
AF1,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

I found the shore excursion tour of Alhambra Palace to be quite fascinating! Alhambra was the last palace to remain in the hands of the Moorish rulers. Isabella and Ferdinand delayed funding of Columbus's first voyage to search for a westward route to China until it fell.

Norm.

The problem Norm is that touring the Alhambra is NOT for those that have walking disabiliies. The Alhambra was also where Isabella rid the country of all the Jews.. In the book The Last Jew by Noah Gordon he writes about the dwarfs of the caves who entertained the King and Queen

Rev22:17 March 27th, 2009 06:29 PM

Parrot Mom,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
The problem Norm is that touring the Alhambra is NOT for those that have walking disabiliies. The Alhambra was also where Isabella rid the country of all the Jews.. In the book The Last Jew by Noah Gordon he writes about the dwarfs of the caves who entertained the King and Queen

True.

But the OP did not mention walking disabilities.

Norm.

juanfag January 14th, 2014 06:26 AM

Hello to evreyone who goes to visit Malaga.
I found a quite useful app (TIPSMALAGA) without internet connection that offers you the main points from the center of Malaga (restaurants, bars, sights, attractions, etc..) Application.
Best of all it's free, easy to use and as I said before no internet connection required to operate.

It has a great variety, depending on each pocket, what and where to eat, and tells you how to get to the chosen site.