Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Beginner

Default Royal Caribbean 7N Greek Isle Cruise with and without Turkey

Hi,

Trying to plan a family cruise for June or July 2009. We have sailed on Royal Caribbean (Explorer) before and we were very pleased.

1. The 7 night Greek Isle Cruise is on the Splendour of the Seas which is a pretty old ship. Has anyone taken this cruise lately and does it make much of a difference if this ship is older.

2. Should I be looking at another cruise line. (Cost is a factor and we will have children of all ages- Can only go 7 or 8 nights) Any suggestions.

3. Which itinerary is better if you have never been on cruises to this area.

There will be a number of seniors with us. Will they be able to enjoy the cruise or is it for active people when you get off the ship

7 night Greek Isle Cruise (Splendour of the Seas)
Venice

Split, Croatia

Corfu

Pireaus, Athens

Mykonos

Katakolon

Venice

or the

7 night Greek Isle and Turkey (Splendor of the Seas)

Venice

Dubronovik

Cruising

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey

Santorini

Corfu

Cruising

Venice

Thank you very much for your help and I am sure I will have many more questions.

G

Carnival Victory Feb 2003 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Victory July 2006 Halifax and Nova Scotia
RCCL Explorer July 2007 Bermuda
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Royal Caribbean 7N Greek Isle Cruise with and without Tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCD1963
Hi,

Trying to plan a family cruise for June or July 2009. We have sailed on Royal Caribbean (Explorer) before and we were very pleased.

1. The 7 night Greek Isle Cruise is on the Splendour of the Seas which is a pretty old ship. Has anyone taken this cruise lately and does it make much of a difference if this ship is older.

2. Should I be looking at another cruise line. (Cost is a factor and we will have children of all ages- Can only go 7 or 8 nights) Any suggestions.

There will be a number of seniors with us. Will they be able to enjoy the cruise or is it for active people when you get off the ship

Venice

Split, Croatia

Corfu

Pireaus, Athens

Mykonos

Katakolon

Venice

or the

Venice

Dubronovik

Cruising

Santorini

Corfu

Cruising

Venice

Thank you very much for your help and I am sure I will have many more questions.

G

If I was you I will take the first one .All port of call are beautiful .
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Royal Caribbean 7N Greek Isle Cruise with and without Tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCD1963
Hi,

Venice

Split, Croatia

Corfu

Pireaus, Athens

Mykonos

Katakolon

Venice

or the

Venice

Dubronovik

Cruising

Santorini

Corfu

Cruising

Venice

G

Hi! Did you ever decide on the Splendor of the Seas? We are looking at that cruise too, but are concerned about the age of the ship! We are looking at the first trip too!

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Passenger

We sailed on Celebrity Galaxy in Nov. 2008 and one of the ports was Kusadasi, Turkey. It was great. We took a tour to the House of the Virgin Mary and Ephesus. The ruins are fabulous. There was great shopping in Kusadasi and all of the people were very friendly.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
First Mate

We were just on the legend which is an older ship and it was fine. I would choose the cruise with Turkey. Ephesus is really neat. We had a lot of elderly people on our cruise and they seem to do fine.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I was on a Mediterranean cruise last year and did Turkey and Greece both.

Both are beautiful and amazing. If you can afford to do the Greek Isles with Turkey, do it.

Ephesus is cool, we walked all the way through and enjoyed it. The coastline is gorgeous and the food was pretty good too. Kusadasi is a pretty cool area.

Greece is my favorite place in the whole world. I want to go live in Santorini~I could spend forever there. Athens is incredible; I had only ever dreamed about seeing the Parthenon and the sheer size of it in person was a feeling words cannot accurately describe (granted, everything I saw in Europe left me feeling this way~everything was so vast and beautiful!). Mykonos was hot but interesting.

I am generally a Carnival cruiser, which are cheaper and more geared towards fun and entertainment all the time, but Royal completely wins out when it comes to European/Mediterranean itineraries. I was on the Brilliance and we had decent service, good food, and the ship was gorgeous. I will sail Royal again.

Have fun in choosing
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

my wife and I were on Splendour out of Venice in 07. You can read my review under member reviews. We were on the second itinerary. Venice-Dubrovnik-Ephasus-Santorini-Corfu-Venice. It was a great ship, staff was wonderful, the ports of call were superb. If you have any questions let me know. I definitely recommend taking this cruise.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Tendering into Santorini, Greece

Santorini

Ephesus, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

pics we took....hope you enjoy
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Passenger

Default "have to do" excursions for greek isles and med. c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
I was on a Mediterranean cruise last year and did Turkey and Greece both.

Both are beautiful and amazing. If you can afford to do the Greek Isles with Turkey, do it.

Ephesus is cool, we walked all the way through and enjoyed it. The coastline is gorgeous and the food was pretty good too. Kusadasi is a pretty cool area.

Greece is my favorite place in the whole world. I want to go live in Santorini~I could spend forever there. Athens is incredible; I had only ever dreamed about seeing the Parthenon and the sheer size of it in person was a feeling words cannot accurately describe (granted, everything I saw in Europe left me feeling this way~everything was so vast and beautiful!). Mykonos was hot but interesting.

I am generally a Carnival cruiser, which are cheaper and more geared towards fun and entertainment all the time, but Royal completely wins out when it comes to European/Mediterranean itineraries. I was on the Brilliance and we had decent service, good food, and the ship was gorgeous. I will sail Royal again.

Have fun in choosing
Cutiecat,
do you have any excursions that you would say are a "have to do"? We are trying to figure out which excursions to choose. We are booked on the Ruby Princess with ports to Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonoa, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, and Venice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
jannaj