Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default London Tours

My wife and I will be in London pre cruise next May. We are interested in going to the John Wesley musuem. My wife is a United Methodist Minister and John Wellsley was the founder of the Methodist Religion; hence we would like to visit his musuem. Does anyone on this thread know where it is located in London? Thank you in advance.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Hi there,

There are various London Museums which can be researched via the Web, and one particularly good site which brings them all together is the 24hourmuseum site. If you cut & paste the following link if will take you to the "John Wesley's House & The Museum of Methodism" link.

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/londo...45.html?ixsid=

This not only gives you an oversite of the museum, but also open hours, charges - free but donations welcomed, and links to their own website (www.wesleyschapel.org.uk) and their email address - museum@wesleyschapel.org.uk

If you take the post code (EC1Y 1AU) and drop that into something like google maps you can find the location. The nearest Underground/Tube station is Old Street. It is on the Northern Line in Zone 1 (the central zone) so a zone-1 day travel card would be a good buy. Note though, this tube station doesn't open at weekends, so if you visit then head you will have to go for one of the nearby staitons which will only be a couple of blocks away. (Angel or Moorgate on the Northern Line, or Barbican or Liverpool Street which are on several lines, plus the main railway.

Hope this is of help, if I can give you any more info, please don't hesitate to ask.

have a great time,

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Britannia, Oceana(3), Oriana(12), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(7), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the reply. I will research your info. My wife and I will be arriving on a Monday, and will be there pretty much all day Monday and Tuesday. We will be staying at the Hilton Parklane.

Go Reds
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Admiral

I have found wesley chapel and musuem on the map and it looks to be about 15-20 min from our hotel; not bad. Thanks for the info

Go Reds
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Admiral

That's a great location for seeing the main sights around the city, and as a bonus, the local station (Hyde Park Corner) is also in zone 1, so if you want to use public transport then a zone-1 card is definitely worth doing.

You can buy the ticket at any station and costs £6.80 per person for the whole day. As compared to a single journey from Hyde park to Old street which would cost up to £4.00 !! (there is something called an Oyster Card, but when i tried to get one this year, I had to get photocards, pay a refundable deposit & add top up in multiples of £5 - too much hassle for me)

Best wishes for the New Year,

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Britannia, Oceana(3), Oriana(12), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(7), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Alan, thanks for the info, will use the tube to get around, will most likely get a day pass.

Go Reds
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Alan, my wife and I switched hotel; we are now staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge. It is closer to Wesley Chapel, which is of primary interest and also we want to visit the Tower Bridge and The Tower of London. The Hilton is right there. Thanks for all your positive comments.

Go Reds