Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to drj898 Send a message via Yahoo to drj898
Default mediterranean cruise of our dreams.

I'm a 23 year old guy...looking forward to cruising this August (09) with my very cool mother =). She's turning 50 this summer so she wants to celebrate with a cruise through Europe. But she needs some specifics and I was wondering if you guys can help us out. We want to see Venice, Athens, AND Rome in the same cruise. We need to leave no earlier than August 12th, and disembark no later than August 29th. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Happy cruising!
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Admiral

Okay I have an idea based on my experince this past May in Rome. My sister, hubby, mom, dad, and me took the train from Rome into Venice it's a 5 hour train ride where you see much of the countryside.

Here is my suggestion take a cruise from Venice Italy it's a 7 day on Royal Caribbean leaves on Aug 22. It goes to Venice, Italy; Split, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Olympia (Katakalon), Greece; Venice, Italy.

However, fly into Rome on August 19 stay in Rome the 19 and 20 take an early train to Venice on the 21st. Catch a Euro star train they are newer, faster and more comfortable trains. The train ride is about 5 hours you would board at Termini station Rome and exit St. Lucia Station Venice. This way you can see Rome pre cruise and still see Athens and Venice. We stayed at a great little hotel in Venice a short walk from the train station called La Locanda di Orsaria. Here is a link http://www.locandaorsaria.com/en/home.php We didn't like our hotel in Rome so I don't have a hotel to recommend there.

Trenitala is the Italian train station. We booked a second class, flex fare. We had trouble booking ahead using this website so we just took the metro to the train station and bought our trains the day before, it worked great.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Hi there,

There is one very good site that we use when researching all aspects of cruising called choosingcruising.co.uk (it's UK based, but you should still be able to access it with no problems).

This site will give you all sorts of info on cruise lines, individual ships, ports of call, and so on.

At the right hand side of the top there is an option to look at Ports, and in here, you can select any port that you want to check. You will then be given a celendar & by clicking on the Month (say August) you will see all the ships due to visit that port.
You can then view where else that ship is calling to see if it is of interest to you, for example Ruby Princess is sailing fom Rome on August 8th & ending in Venice on August 20th,calling at around 10 other ports.

See http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/cr...=Ruby+Princess

ALSO a quick word of warning !!!

If you want to sail into Venice, make certain that the ship actually calls there, OK that sounds a bit silly so let me explain.
A lot of cruise lines still list Venice as a port of call, but in reality dock in Trieste on the Slovenian border from where it is around 100 miles away and a 2 to 3 hour transfer each way.

We nearly booked a cruise a couple of years ago expecting to sail into/out of Venice, but it was only through luck that we realised we weren't. Even the Travel Agent didn't know.

Better to be safe that sorry.

Have a great time,

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Beginner

All of your help is simply amazing. I cannot thank you enough. I'm going to take all suggestions into consideration. Thank you!
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Oh a quick note about the hotel I recommended La Locanda di Orsaria. It doesn't have an elevator, if you or your mother have problem with stairs then request a room on the ground floor. I did this for my mom and dad's room and they were very happy with their room I beleive it was number 52.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Beginner

I just found on priceline.com, this cruise.

http://www.pricelinecruiseoutlet.com...deAlumniRates=

It's Celebrity's Summit. It's a 12 day mediterranean cruise, filling the criteria i was looking for. Any thoughts regarding Celebrity's ships? Once again...thanks =)