Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Default Planning Europe cruise in 2010

Planning a cruise to Europe in 2010, it will be a group of 6 of us, but have no idea of where to start, I have read so much information I am all confused. First question is which would be the best cruise line for this, I have been a faithful RCL, but also see others like Costa, Norwegian etc, have cruises to Europe, we are thinking to travel to Madrid for like 2 days, then travel to Barcelona and spend another 2 days and from there take out cruise.... but I am totally lost when it comes to sight seeing, hotel etc. and I have been designated to plan all this, not a good thing... PLEASE HELP.....I am lost, too much to check, do, reserve, etc...

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Admiral

I used slow travel Italy while planning my cruise and got a lot of good tips. They have one for Spain, here is the link. http://www.slowtrav.com/spain/index.asp If you think of everything you need to do you feel feel overwhelmed. Just go one at a time. If you have enjoyed Royal in the past then I would suggest not changing. I have heard Costa ship have a lot of smoking on them so for a non smoker it maybe a bit much. What time of year do you want to cruise?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Beginner

thank you so much katlady for your help and quick reply, we would like to go when is not cold, not scotching hot either, but just nice weather, that is another I will have to research, weather...Tks again and anything you can forward to me will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Hello There,

We live in Europe and have many co-workers cruising on MSC and Costa. On our last RCCL Med cruise (Feb2009) on Brilliance our British and Irish table mates advised us not to take MSC. The crowds are mostly Europeans, Italians and Spanish (especially if sailing from one of their ports). The announcements, shows are all done in those languages first, then other European languages, and finally in English. The shows are also catered to those crowds priamarily.
My recommendation is not to sail on an Italian cruise line. One more point; shore excursions don't have dedicated English speaking guides and they try to juggle two/three languages at the same time.

BB
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by loly
thank you so much katlady for your help and quick reply, we would like to go when is not cold, not scotching hot either, but just nice weather, that is another I will have to research, weather...Tks again and anything you can forward to me will be greatly appreciated.
We did our Transaltantic cruise with stops in Spain, Italy, and portugal end of april start of May. The weather was wonderful. So I suggest start of May. Barcelona would be nice you could see the greek islands. I heard they are beautiful.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising On Italian Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbb1220
Hello There,

We live in Europe and have many co-workers cruising on MSC and Costa. On our last RCCL Med cruise (Feb2009) on Brilliance our British and Irish table mates advised us not to take MSC. The crowds are mostly Europeans, Italians and Spanish (especially if sailing from one of their ports). The announcements, shows are all done in those languages first, then other European languages, and finally in English. The shows are also catered to those crowds priamarily.
My recommendation is not to sail on an Italian cruise line. One more point; shore excursions don't have dedicated English speaking guides and they try to juggle two/three languages at the same time.

BB
My cruising friend just came off Costa and says "never again"fabulous food, good cabin, but Americans are looked down on.. We have cruised Celebrity from Barcelona and will be doing NCL from Barcelona this year and with a bit of luck... Celebrity again next november from Rome..
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising On Italian Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbb1220
Hello There,

BB
My cruising friend just came off Costa and says "never again"fabulous food, good cabin, but Americans are looked down on.. We have cruised Celebrity from Barcelona and will be doing NCL from Barcelona this year and with a bit of luck... Celebrity again next november from Rome..
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Admiral

My mother and her friends had a similarly bad experience of Costa this year. They had previously cruises on Costa Victoria and had a wonderful time, so this year they booked another Costa cruise. ALL the British were treated as 3rd class citizens, and no-one wanted to listen or help with the long list of problems that were being experienced, even my mother tried to complain, and she will put up with almost anything.

The cruise was a multiple sector cruise, and as most of the Brits left after sector one, they were the lucky ones to be getting off. My mother & her companions remained on board for another few days, and things didn't improve during that time.

They never found out what the issue was, but the Italians (pax & crew) were really hating having other nationalities on board.

Alan
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I am an American living in Europe and we cruise the Med every September. It is my favorite time to be there... the beautiful golden light, still warm temps (bot not uncomfortably hot) and the tourist season is pretty much over.

I agree with everything the others have said. I don't enjoy Costa in Europe, it is a different standard than when the ships are in the Caribbean; the food is different, the staff is different, and you run into a totally different cruise culture. It is not so much that Americans are looked down on, as they are not treated with dedicated attention that they are used to from other Ami/Brit lines. There are definite culture clashes with the large amount of Italian, French and Spanish on board. While this can be interesting if you are open minded, it can also be grating if you are expecting something else. Avoid MSC or Costa if you do not want to be part of an international setting.

As for itineraries... they are all spectacular. Did you read the article posted above about choosing the right itinerary for you? The Greek islands are truly amazing, but to be honest... every stop on the way is!

Think about what you really like out of your vacation and what you want to see and experience in Europe and perhaps we can offer you some more specific suggestions.

Happy Cruising!
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Captain

One thing to consider. European cruises are very port intensive and if you are an early diner on a line with traditional seatinng (as we were on the Freedom in the Med) there were some stops where we had 20 minutes from getting off the tour bus to being due at our dinner table.
Our other two European cruises we did Princess and NCl where we could dine when we chose. Much more relaxing for us.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Default PORT INTENSIVE

One of the things we enjoy about cruising are the days at sea.. so we do the trans-atlantics which give us great ports and days at sea...
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Hi Loly,
This article may help.

http://www.europeanrivercruisesinfo....ise-deals-2010

I hope you have a great cruise.

Regards,
J.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Planning Europe cruise in 2010

Quote:
Planning a cruise to Europe in 2010, it will be a group of 6 of us, but have no idea of where to start, I have read so much information I am all confused. First question is which would be the best cruise line for this, I have been a faithful RCL, but also see others like Costa, Norwegian etc, have cruises to Europe, we are thinking to travel to Madrid for like 2 days, then travel to Barcelona and spend another 2 days and from there take out cruise.... but I am totally lost when it comes to sight seeing, hotel etc. and I have been designated to plan all this, not a good thing... PLEASE HELP.....I am lost, too much to check, do, reserve, etc...

More info www.cruisecritic.com