Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default INDEPENDENT TOUR PROVIDERS

NOTE: CruiseMates has decided to let posts about independent tour providers stay up on a trial basis since more people are looking for independent tour guides these days.

Ideally, we are mostly looking for independent recommendations from people who have used the services of a tour provider.

If you own a tour service, we ask you not to POST original "new topic" posts about your service, but if someone asks a question such as this one, you can REPLY to it.

ALL TOUR COMPANIES OWNERS REPLYING TO POSTS SHOULD LIST THE NUMBER IF YEARS THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS AND ANY OFFICIAL LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS THEY HAVE TO CONDUCT A TOUR BUSINESS.

We will continue this policy for as long as we feel it is working. If the systems becomes abused by tour providers, if we get spammed, if we see what appear to fake recommendations (we can tell) or if we see it getting too many negative posts between tour operators we will discontinue these posts.

But for now, tour operators, you have a chance to reply to people looking for tours so please use our system wisely and do not abuse it, and you have a good thing going for you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Paul, I like this idea. I hope it works out the way it is intended, without abuse.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Beginner

Default ciao

Ok thank you!!!!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Paul, based on Kuki's latest Blog I am having a difficult time signing up for ship tours for the Baltic. Kuki confirmed what I always suspected was going on, paying more and getting less. Happy to hear there will be more private tour info on Cruisemates. Thanks, Mike
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Beginner

Default Private Tour to Normandy

We are sailing on Apr 29th on the Emerald and would like to travel too Normandy from the port of LeHarve. Does anyone know of a private guide or any other suggestion.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Default Independent tours in Baltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
Paul, based on Kuki's latest Blog I am having a difficult time signing up for ship tours for the Baltic. Kuki confirmed what I always suspected was going on, paying more and getting less. Happy to hear there will be more private tour info on Cruisemates. Thanks, Mike
We did a Baltic cruise a few years ago and toured St. Petersburg with Red October. Our guide was excellent with impeccable English. The driver was very professional. They picked us up just outside our ship and tailored the two day tour to our needs. We did not pay until the end of the 2nd day and the price was quite fair. Their website is www.redoctober.us.

In Copenhagen, we took a wonderful bike tour that gave us excellent information on that city. Unfortunately I lost the name of the company, but I am sure you can find something online.

Have a good trip.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Hi Paul... I just joined Cruise Mates today and was totally shocked (in a GOOD way) while reading that it was ok for me to talk about myself as a tour provider/professional.

My partner and I live in Germany and just completed a Baltic cruise. We had a great time, but were SHOCKED at how expensive (and short) some of the tours on offer from the cruise line were in Warnemünde. Since we can fly to Berlin in 45 minutes, we weren't interested in taking a 3 hour train ride there, tour 6 hours, and another 3 hours back so we started looking for alternatives. There weren't any really. The cruise line offered crazily priced tours and there was nothing really on offer for English speakers... so we turned our stop into a discovery excursion. We LOVED the area... found out there was a lot to see and discover so when our ship got back we drove ourselves back up and spend a few weeks putting some nice tours together to offer to English speakers... hence Friends of Dave Tours was born.

Imagine my surprise when reading your FAQs and Policies that we are able to tell that story or answer questions for people looking for nice port experiences. We certainly promise to be good board members and appreciate your decision... I bet your readers will, too!

Kudos!!!!
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
If you need help for Germany let us know. In St. Petersburg we used Alla Tours and found them to offer an excellent product for a very fair price... http://www.alla-tour.com/
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Default Tour Operator in Sorrento, Positano, & Pompeii

In Dec. 2008, we used a fantastic tour operator www. sorrentosilverstar.com -Luisa.
She tailored the excursion to our requests. We were off of Celebrity in Naples, we went to the cameo factory, Pompeii, Sorrento-lunch and shopping, Positano, and the furniture factory. She stopped many places for pictures. Luisa and the driver-Max-were wonderful. We paid 1/3 of what the ship excursion was and saw more. We paid for the excursion with Luisa at the end.
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

During a Baltic cruise last July my wife and I had a local tour company in St. Petersburg take us on guided tours each day. They were fantastic and we did not need a Visa, they also had all museums admission tickets arranged in advance . The company was Palladium Travel; their web site is www.palladium.spb.ru It turned out to be a great experience. Our guide met us at the ship side each day and was very knowledgeable and spoke great English.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up DenRus

Well, if we add our experience pretty much all the most popular independent tour operators in St Pete will have been mentioned. We loved our custom tour with Denrus DenRus Baltic Shore Excursions.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/stpete.html

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Independent tour operators

Some of the best we have used in Europe:

GreekTaxi Greek Taxi Tours in Athens Greece with English Speaking Driver
Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Kagan Kosagan for Turkey tour guides in Istanbul and Turkey / Kagan Kosagan
Check the same page http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Avitours in Israel http://www.avitours.co.il
Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Independent tours - Italy/Turkey

Thanks MercedMike for this thread.

I am looking at three independent tours on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises back to back 23 May and 2 June 2011
Kusadasi - using Hello Ephesus on a tailored tour that covers all main spots including Terrace Houses and Sirince Village.
In Naples I plan to use silverstar sorrento for a Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano tour - Luisa has been very helpful. At present there is just my wife and I so it is a bit expensive and I have looked for tripmates on this site since Septemeber but it seems it is a bit early for people to be planning shore excursions yet. ( I actually downloaded our shore excursion ebrochure from HAL yesterday). Luisa has advised that we can book for our own and if we meet others to go or getresponses fromothers we can add and change arrangements
Livorno - I want to do a private tour to Cinque Terra but again because there is only two of us, we are looking at about 400+ euros. I have researched a number of websites and emailed. One I am still waiting on is Viator.com - they seem reasonable but visit only three of the five villages. Do you need to see them all? Some operators visit four, others all five but it is a question of cost and benefits

Any suggestions of good tour operators for Cinque Terra?

All companies have their own testimonials but it is nice to see them on an independent forum.

Thanks - I have been getting good advice on other threads I have posted.

I hope I can jag some interest in joining our tours from other cruisers. I'm sure more would make them more enjoyable and lower the cost for all.

Regards
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default For Cinque Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
Thanks MercedMike for this thread.

I am looking at three independent tours on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises back to back 23 May and 2 June 2011
Kusadasi - using Hello Ephesus on a tailored tour that covers all main spots including Terrace Houses and Sirince Village.
In Naples I plan to use silverstar sorrento for a Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano tour - Luisa has been very helpful. At present there is just my wife and I so it is a bit expensive and I have looked for tripmates on this site since Septemeber but it seems it is a bit early for people to be planning shore excursions yet. ( I actually downloaded our shore excursion ebrochure from HAL yesterday). Luisa has advised that we can book for our own and if we meet others to go or getresponses fromothers we can add and change arrangements
Livorno - I want to do a private tour to Cinque Terra but again because there is only two of us, we are looking at about 400+ euros. I have researched a number of websites and emailed. One I am still waiting on is Viator.com - they seem reasonable but visit only three of the five villages. Do you need to see them all? Some operators visit four, others all five but it is a question of cost and benefits

Any suggestions of good tour operators for Cinque Terra?

All companies have their own testimonials but it is nice to see them on an independent forum.

Thanks - I have been getting good advice on other threads I have posted.

I hope I can jag some interest in joining our tours from other cruisers. I'm sure more would make them more enjoyable and lower the cost for all.

Regards
My family (group of 14) used Discovery Guided Tours last year for Florence and Rome and I believe they have an excursion for Cinque Terra. This is their link Limousine Service Rome Italy Shore Excursions Rome Sightseeing Tours Rome Airport Transfers , Fiumicino airport, civitavecchia to Rome tours Shore Excursions
They were really impressed with their service and highly recommended them. I'm doing HAL Mediterranean Romance on 21st September and booked Rome and Pisa/Florence with them, we are a group of 8. Something that I like a lot and probably you will too, they have live support (chat) they answered all my questions and gave me peace of mind, you need to be aware of time zones though. If you use the chat, ask for Pamela - she is fantastic! Hope this help you.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Mike,

How was your trip to Italy wiht the independnet tour operators.

We are on the Noordaam leaving Rome on 15/9/11.

Can you recommend tour operators for Ephesus, Naples, Livorno?

best wishes
Michele
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
NOTE: CruiseMates has decided to let posts about independent tour providers stay up on a trial basis since more people are looking for independent tour guides these days.

Ideally, we are mostly looking for independent recommendations from people who have used the services of a tour provider.

If you own a tour service, we ask you not to POST original "new topic" posts about your service, but if someone asks a question such as this one, you can REPLY to it.

ALL TOUR COMPANIES OWNERS REPLYING TO POSTS SHOULD LIST THE NUMBER IF YEARS THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS AND ANY OFFICIAL LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS THEY HAVE TO CONDUCT A TOUR BUSINESS.

We will continue this policy for as long as we feel it is working. If the systems becomes abused by tour providers, if we get spammed, if we see what appear to fake recommendations (we can tell) or if we see it getting too many negative posts between tour operators we will discontinue these posts.

But for now, tour operators, you have a chance to reply to people looking for tours so please use our system wisely and do not abuse it, and you have a good thing going for you.
Costa Concordia (Barcelona) January 9 2012. My husband and I are cruising our first Med cruise after numerous North American / Caribbean cruises. I am a little nervous of the January European weather as well as the excursions. I would love to meet English speaking people who would be interested in joining us on private excursions?
Look forward to meeting up with fellow English speaking cruisers.
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Tours In Tenerife

Thank you...
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Tenerife

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We will be in Hamburg in June1-2,2012. Do you know of a reliable private tour organization? Thanks.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Madeira Shore Excursions

Dear Cruisers,

Here you can find some information about Madeira Island for your Shore Excursions.

Madeira Shore Excursions

You just pay your tour in the coach!

Best Regards.
Alex
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Mallorca private tour guides- licensed TOURGUIDES Spain

If somebody needs help or have any questions about spanish Ports.
Not just for booking a tour or a guide
If you need any speciall information, specially from majorca
Do not hesitate to contact us
Mallorca private tour guides
www.mallorcaprivatetourguides.com
If you want to read interesting articles about the island( not publicity) history, gastronomie...follow us
mallorcaprivatetourguides | Find the best tour guide in Spain
www.facebook.com/mallorcaprivatetourguides
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Traveling to europe

Its really good post about Europe.Every year travelers pack up their backpacks and head to Europe to see the sights of the European continent. Many of these travelers are also finding out why it’s great to stay in hostels in Europe, which are the facilities they are offering.
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Barcelona Free Walking Tour

Hello,

If you are thinking in your short journey in Barcelona because the ship may only come into port for one day or a few hours the FEEL FREE TOURS - Free walking tours in barcelona - Daily free walking tours from Plaa Catalunya company could be a good idea for our cruising mates can visit deeply of Barcelona's most tourist sights.

Who wants to Join us in our Free Walking Tours this summer'
booking@feelfreetours.com
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs up Limassol / Cyprus Island

Dear Cruisers,

Here you can find some information about Cyprus for your Shore Excursions from Limassol Port.

Spanos Buses Cyprus

You just pay your tour in the coach at the end of your tour!

Best Regards
Vasili
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Smart Cruise Tours Italy

Hi I have just booked a private tour to the Vatican and Rome with smart cruise tours saving about a thousand euros from the NCL trip.
has anyone used this company before?
are they any good?
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello! We just arrived home from our 5th Med Cruise and the highlight of our ports was Santorini. It was our 3rd time visiting the island but this time we arranged a semi-private tour(with another 8 people who were all staying in Santorini). For just 75 Euros each we had a great 4hour tour all over Santorini and visited 3 local wineries together with a sommelier who was also our guide. The pick up spot was easy to find and we did not run into hords of people like on previous visits when we attended shore excursions(which we payed way more for). Contact Santorini Wine Tour and ask for Vaios as your guide.
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

"Sicily Tour Services" is one of the best and efficient independent services in Sicily. i had a amazing experience with them as they provided their best during our 10 day trip. their faculty including drivers,tour guides and representatives all was very genuine and helping hand. really had a gr8 trip with amazing experience!!!!!!!!