Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Passenger

Default venice hotel precruise

We are going on Splendour of seas may 29, 2010, there are 7 of us.
Any suggestion for hotel to stay, and how to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port where there is 7 of us with luggage.

thanks in advance,
jean
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Okay I have my favorite hotel it's in the "fish" part of Venice and it's an affordable hotel. It doesn't have an elevator or a view of the canal. But it's right near the train station and is very easy to roll your bags from the train station to the hotel.

However, to get from the airport I would get a cab from the airport they will park at the train station. Our taxi driver helped us with our bags he had a rolling cart. Because we were so close to Santa Lucia train station it was really easy. The hotel's name is La Locanda di Orsaria I booked direct with the hotel and asked for a ground floor (because of the no elevator thing). http://www.locandaorsaria.com/

Here is the review I wrote for Tripadvisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ce_Veneto.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Admiral

A hotel I liked, not on a canal and no elevator, but right on Piazzale Roma is Ca Doge.

http://www.cadoge.it/

From there, it isn't a far walk to the the main port, but it depends on where your ship will be. With luggage could be kind of iffy, depending on your condition, but it would be downhill.

You could also catch taxis which may rob you (they seem to charge for each piece of luggage). Hopefully your ship will have a shuttle bus available from P. Roma.

To get to the hotel from the airport - and Piazzale Roma in general, I liked the express airport bus. It leaves every 30 minutes, I think it was 3 euros/person in 2007, and dropped you off in the center of P. Roma. A large comfortable bus with lots of storage underneath for luggage.

You can see some of what I'm talking about in pictures in the following links:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/...irst/first.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/...ay/sec/sec.htm

and pictures from that cruise in general:
http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/free_map.htm
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were just in Venice for 1 night before and for 2 nights after our cruise. We stayed at a great place near Piazza San Marco. But don't let the fear of the crowds from the Piazza scare you...this place is about a 3 minute walk from the Piazza but is in a private courtyard and you'd think you were miles away from the crowds.

Check out www.locandaorseolo.com

I would definitely go back to them the next time I'm in Venice.

They've been rated #1 in Venice on TripAdvisor for a couple of years.

As for transport to/from port...we splurged and took water taxis. There were 4 of us and although a little pricier than public transport, we didn't have to worry about dragging our bags to the local vaparetto stop. We were picked up right at the hotel. It was a great addition to the trip.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
First Mate

We were on Splendour in early Oct. and stayed at the Santa Chiara hotel after our cruise. It is right on the Piazzale Roma and the Splendour's free shuttle bus drops you off literally right at he door step.You can easily catch the blue express bus to and from Marco Polo. The hotel is very conveniently located for all transport .St.Marks is walkable from there (we did both ways)
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrtco View Post
Any suggestion for hotel to stay, and how to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port where there is 7 of us with luggage.

thanks in advance,
jean
I can suggest staying at the Antony Hotel in Mestre, it's 5 mins from the airport and 10 from the Port. It provides shuttle back and forth to both destinations. Rooms are large for european standards and very well furnished. Staff speaks awesome english and they let you check in very early. Plus they can hold your bags there for free as long as you need.

www.antonyhotel.it
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Admiral

There are several ways to get from the airport to the island. You can take a taxi or bus to Piazzale Roma, you can take the Alilaguna (water bus) there are different lines running different schedules, or most expensive is to take a water taxi directly to your hotel (or close to it). With a group of 7 the water taxi may be the best per person.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to dmacdots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrtco View Post

thanks in advance,
jean
thank you for asking this question! This is precisely what I was going to ask! Cruising on NCL 10/1 to Mediterranean Greek Isles; total of 6. Where did you decide to reserve your stay in Venice?
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

I can recommend the http://www.rialtohotel.com/ which has the perfect location for a stay in venice and easily reached by water Taxi ir or by Alilaguna & Water Bus