CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   hotel in Rome (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/371411-hotel-rome.html)

cutiecat February 3rd, 2010 11:31 AM

hotel in Rome

can anyone recommend a hotel in Rome for post~cruise stay? after our honeymoon cruise my **at that time will be :) :) ** husband and i would like to stay 3 nights in Rome and i have no idea where to start.

thanks!!

Lou February 4th, 2010 07:21 PM

Will be anxious for an answer to a hotel in Rome, as we are doing a
3 day pre cruise stay in Rome...We want a hotel that is close to the
Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps as possible, nice but not too pricey.
Of course we know we will be walking alot.

katlady February 5th, 2010 12:41 AM

Here is a link to a thread that might help you.:D
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/hot...otel-rome.html

gemini April 17th, 2010 10:56 AM

I suggest the Marriot grand Hotel Flora:
Great hotel in a perfect location:
hotel roma hotel roma centro hotel 4 stelle roma | Grand Hotel Flora Rome

Rev22:17 April 20th, 2010 08:13 PM

cutiecat,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1271710)
can anyone recommend a hotel in Rome for post~cruise stay? after our honeymoon cruise my **at that time will be :) :) ** husband and i would like to stay 3 nights in Rome and i have no idea where to start.

Ah, shucks. Another one bites the dust. Why didn't you say you were single a couple years ago? ;-o

Seriously, congratulations and best wishes!

As to hotels for a post-cruise stay in the Eternal City, the most seamless option is to book a hotel package through your cruise line. The cruise lines' hotel packages include the transfer from the pier in Civitiavecchia to the respective hotels, and the cruise lines have English-speaking staff at a desk in the hotel to coordinate optional tours of various local attactions with English-speaking guides and to assist with any other needs that you may have.

I have twice stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's, which is in a residential neighborhood behind Vatican City, and look forward to doing so again. This stately grand lady offers convenient pedestrian access to the neighborhood's outstanding restaurants and shops, which serve locals, and a complementary shuttle to the downtown area for convenient access to the city's metro and major attractions. Some of the cruise lines offer packages at this hotel.

If you book both your hotel package and your flights through your cruise line, the air package will include the transfer from the hotel to the airport. If you are booking your flights separately, either directly or through your travel agent, you will be responsible for your own transportation from the hotel to the airport -- and it takes over an hour by taxi, so it's not cheap. Many of Rome's better hotels, including the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's, do offer complementary shuttles to the airport that arrive there in time for the later (9:00 AM or after) flights back to the States. If you are booking your flights separately, book the latest flight out of Rome that you can.

If you want to tour the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel or other major attractions, I highly recommend booking a local tour. The Vatican Museum typically has a cue that extends half way around a city block, three or four wide, for general admission, but the tour groups have reserved group admission times so they bypass the tour and go right in via the group entrance, which is next to the general entrance, when they arrive. If the cruise line's staff at your hotel don't offer a tour of the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel, or if you arrange your hotel independently, the concierge at the hotel will gladly arrange a tour with an English-speaking guide for you.

Norm.

Parrot Mom April 21st, 2010 06:46 AM

Rome Hotels

We have booked the Hotel Sonya in Rome..it's gotten great reviews, family friendly and location..The other hotel which is just about where you want to go is.Hotel Grifo - Rome.. very romantic location.

sandyrose2546 May 2nd, 2010 12:46 PM

We have also just booked at the Hotel Sonya for 2 pre days and 1 post. Liked the reviews and if you pay in cash they give you a discount.

cutiecat May 2nd, 2010 10:03 PM

thank you all very much. we're thinking about staying at the hotel continentale~anyone know anything about this place?

and thanks for the congrats. the wedding rocked and we can't wait for our honeymoon :)

Parrot Mom May 4th, 2010 09:26 PM

Hotel Continental

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiecat (Post 1289749)
thank you all very much. we're thinking about staying at the hotel continentale~anyone know anything about this place?

and thanks for the congrats. the wedding rocked and we can't wait for our honeymoon :)

Are you talking about the Hotel Continetal in Barcelona..we have done three pre-cruises. If so I'll fill you in parrotmom@verizon.net

cutiecat May 5th, 2010 12:28 AM

Thank you but I meant the Hotel Continentale in Rome. I'm not sure if they are the same company?

Hopefully this will be a good experience...

Parrot Mom May 5th, 2010 07:01 AM

In Rome

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiecat (Post 1290107)
Thank you but I meant the Hotel Continentale in Rome. I'm not sure if they are the same company?

Hopefully this will be a good experience...

No,I doubt it because the ones in Barcelona are family owned and the mother works at both hotels..

green_rd June 27th, 2010 06:25 PM

Just to add to the list.

We stayed at the Hotel Artemide Roma - it is relatively close to Termini Station if the train plays into your plans. It was an easy walk to Trevi and a straight shot to the top of the Spanish Steps. Plus it was an easy downhill to the northern end of the forum, almost spilling out at the Alter of the Nation.

We booked directly with the hotel for about 240 Euros a night for a classic room that included free breakfast, wi-fi and mini-bar. The hotel has a beautiful terrace with distant views of the dome of St. Peter's.