Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Default Train To Rome and Back to Port

I will be in Rome in November. I plan on doing a lot of walking around Rome. I plan on taking the train from the port to Ostiense and then the metro to Colosseum.Which train station should I use to get back to the port? I was thinking of not going near the Vatican because I was told on Wednesday is the Popes mass and it would be really crowded. Should I head towards St.Peters in the afternoon anyway and take the train back to the port there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't used the train myself, but you should be aware it's a fair hike from where the ship docks to/from the train station.

Not to say it's not doable, but it will take quite a bit of time from your limited time in Rome. You may want to look into some of the private tour operators or taxis, just to use as transport, even if you don't want their tours.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Beginner

the best way is to get a car to rome.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Hi Maggie, hope you are well.

Here is our standard reply for Rome, and I have followed it up with some comments more specific to your enquiry. I hope it helps.

Rome : For Rome you moor up just over an hours train ride away in a town called Civitavecchia. The train journey is an easy one, and the ticket office know when the ships are in & have the tickets ready. When you leave the ship, you nearly always have a shuttle bus that runs you to the dock gates, from here follow the main road, keeping the sea to your right.
The station is less than half a mile away. As you follow the water you come to a large open air swimming pool, you should cross the main road here & the entrance to the railway is on the other side of the wall & car park that you will be facing as you cross the road.

The train ticket is valid for all 5 stations around Rome, with Roma St. Pietro being the first stop, and also the closest station to the Vatican. The last stop is Terminus.
Just make certain that you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, as a taxi ride would be expensive. or at least have a contingency plan, such as "oh well we missed the ship, but the next port of call is easily reachable by train" - this works for Rome / Livorno, then cut your losses, enjoy the night in Rome & take the train the next day. An easy way to see all the sites in a short time, is to take one of the many city hop-on, hop-off tour buses, which have running commentary by personal headphones. It is worth noting that some of the tour buses are affiliated & buying one ticket allow discounts in other cities.

The timetable can be found on http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
If you get the Italian version, there should be an 'English' button at the top right.
The train runs all the way to Roma Termini, but also stops at Rome S. Pietro for St. Marks Square etc.
A typical time table is ...
Civitavecchia 10:07 .... via ....
S. Marinella , Santa Severa , Marina Di Cerveteri , Cerveteri-Ladispoli , Torre In Pietra-Palidoro , Maccarese-Fregene ,
Roma Aurelia 10:52
***Roma S. Pietro 11:00
Roma Trastevere 11:05
Roma Ostiense 11:09
Roma Tuscolana 11:14
***Roma Termini 11:20
Make certain that the train plans you make stops at San Pietro if you want to use that. Not all of them do, the 'Regionale' should suit.

When you say you will take the train to Ostiense, Ipresume you mean the station Roma Ostiense, and not the coastal toan of Ostiense? As you can see from the chart above, the station is on this line, but for the town, you will need to change trains here or at the Termini.

As for catching the train back, hopefully the link above will give you some ideas of times, and the only thing I would say about the station San Pietro, is that although it is only a couple of streets away, it is not very well marked, so you may need to ask for directions.

You can also take the cruise ship's Rome Alone tours if you want to do your own thing, but prefer to use the ship's coaches to get you to/from the city.

Any questions, please let us know.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the information. I will look at all my choices and I'm not ruling out the cruise tour yet. Still have a lot of time to plan this trip.

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Admiral

I only have one thing to add Italy sometimes has train strikes. I'm not trying to change your mind. We took the train from Rome to Venice on an Eurostar (ES) train. It was a nice comfortable ride. I had planned on do the train in Livorno, but they were planning to strike. I was on the Carnival Freedom and they let the passengers know.

Here is a website for the current train strikes it's in Italian. Commissione Garanzia Sciopero Europe dating is day/month/year; So 26/2/10 is 2/26/10 in american. Click on "elenco scioperi" at the bottom of the list on the left-hand side of the screen. It will then show all the strikes. Then, scroll down to "trasporto ferroviario" for info on the train strikes. When you find the various train strikes, you can look for the "stato dello sciopero" box that will tell you the "state" of that strike. If there is a date in red in the "revocato" section, that's the date the strike was called off. If there is a new date in green in the "differito al" box just below the "revocato", that's the new date the strike has been moved to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Thanks for that link Katlady, very useful information. Even more useful was the pointers to get around the site

Putting the URL into google translate did quite a good job, and Wow! don't they like to strike

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Thanks for that link Katlady, very useful information. Even more useful was the pointers to get around the site

Putting the URL into google translate did quite a good job, and Wow! don't they like to strike

Alan
That's one way to get the day off work. Even when the train system is on strike they do still run some non strike trains. Normally early morning service.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Question Going to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I only have one thing to add Italy sometimes has train strikes. I'm not trying to change your mind. We took the train from Rome to Venice on an Eurostar (ES) train. It was a nice comfortable ride. I had planned on do the train in Livorno, but they were planning to strike. I was on the Carnival Freedom and they let the passengers know.

Here is a website for the current train strikes it's in Italian. Commissione Garanzia Sciopero Europe dating is day/month/year; So 26/2/10 is 2/26/10 in american. Click on "elenco scioperi" at the bottom of the list on the left-hand side of the screen. It will then show all the strikes. Then, scroll down to "trasporto ferroviario" for info on the train strikes. When you find the various train strikes, you can look for the "stato dello sciopero" box that will tell you the "state" of that strike. If there is a date in red in the "revocato" section, that's the date the strike was called off. If there is a new date in green in the "differito al" box just below the "revocato", that's the new date the strike has been moved to.
WE are both on the same cruise in october..are you taking the train from Rome? ANYway we might hook up and get a driver.. It doesn't look as if the trains are that handicapped friendly...We will be arriving the 16th and staying at the Hotel Sonia..
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
WE are both on the same cruise in october..are you taking the train from Rome? ANYway we might hook up and get a driver.. It doesn't look as if the trains are that handicapped friendly...We will be arriving the 16th and staying at the Hotel Sonia..
I wish I was on this cruise. But I'm not I was just answering a question for maggieiam. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. I went on a transatlantic cruise on 4/26/08. The cruise ended in Rome, we stayed a couple days then took the train to Venice. One of the best things we did. I loved Venice. The Train ride on the Eurostar (ES) train was comfortable, easy to do, and they had space for our bags.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

maggieiam,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I will be in Rome in November. I plan on doing a lot of walking around Rome. I plan on taking the train from the port to Ostiense and then the metro to Colosseum.Which train station should I use to get back to the port? I was thinking of not going near the Vatican because I was told on Wednesday is the Popes mass and it would be really crowded. Should I head towards St.Peters in the afternoon anyway and take the train back to the port there. Any advice would be appreciated.
Many cruise lines offer a "shore excursion" called "Rome on Your Own" or something similar that basically consists of a motorcoach from the pier to the heart of the city in the morning and the return to the pier in the afternoon. The guide basically gives you a brief orientation and tells you where, and at what time, to meet for the return trip when you arrive, then sets you free to explore on your own. If your cruise line offers such a package, that package would give you more free time to explore the city than any other transportation option.

Also, since the cruise lines treat this package as a shore excursion, the ship will protect you if traffic delays the motorcoach on your return to the port. If you go to Rome on your own and traffic or other delays on your return cause you to miss the ship, you will have to pay your own hotels and meals ashore and your own transportation to the next port of call.

Norm.
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice I have decided to do the ships "shore excursion" called "Rome on Your Own.I don't want to take a chance on something happening my first time there.

Old March 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Smile Getting to Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieiam View Post
Thanks for the advice I have decided to do the ships "shore excursion" called "Rome on Your Own.I don't want to take a chance on something happening my first time there.
On another board I have made contact with other cruisers who are planning private tours back to the airport from the ship..Our flight leaves early afternoon so we will have plenty of time., I hope
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

There are train every half an hour and taxis are readlily avaliable