CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Medeterranean Cruise with seniors (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/372680-medeterranean-cruise-seniors.html)

jen1206 March 20th, 2010 10:36 PM

Medeterranean Cruise with seniors

Any suggestions on things to do in port in Athens and Olympia? We will be traveling with 2 ladies in their mid to late 70's. They both still get around fairly well, but I don't want to plan anything too exhausting and most of the cruise lines shore excursions say they are fairly strenuous. Any help would be appreciated.

Marc March 21st, 2010 02:34 AM

In Athens, either just hiring taxis or using a guide (I have a great recommendation if you need one) I would see new Acropolis Museum, Temple of Zeus, Old Olympic Stadium, and Syntagma Square. I would then go to Plaka for shopping, eating, and drinking. All of these have limited walking (depending on shopping) and are relatively flat. If you want, those of your group with more energy could leave the Acropolis Museum and climb the acropolis and come back down through the Agora and meet up with the rest at the Plaka.

I haven't beel to Olympia in a long time; then, if I remember right, I just took a train and walked the ancient sites. If all excursions are too strenuous, I have always found finding a cafe and getting some lamb and retsina is a wonderful way to pass the time.

jen1206 March 21st, 2010 05:12 PM

Please send me your recommendation for a guide. I had thought about taking the bus into town and doing Athens on our own, but was concerned about my Mom and my sister's Mother-in-Law being uncomfortable. I have heard that at times it is hard to find a seat and people aren't good about giving up their seat to seniors. I don't mind standing, but would hate for the two of them to have to. I have never been to Europe, so I am just going by what I have read and heard. Any insight would be appreciated.

Marc March 22nd, 2010 02:00 AM

Our guide/taxi driver is Stelios Spinoulas

stelios_spinoulas@hotmail.com

I have missplaced his cell phone number; all I have is the email. First year we arranged for transportation from airport to hotel. He also took us to Temple of Poseidon on way to ship another day. Next, he drove to Nafplion to meet the ship the day after we left Athens to take four of us on a complete tour of the Peloponese. Last year we just used him for transportation airport to ship as we arrived day of cruise. This year, we are going to take a tour of Delphi prior to embarkation.

He has been used by a number of our friends.

Have Fun!

Rev22:17 March 23rd, 2010 09:45 PM

jen1206,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1281350)
Any suggestions on things to do in port in Athens and Olympia? We will be traveling with 2 ladies in their mid to late 70's. They both still get around fairly well, but I don't want to plan anything too exhausting and most of the cruise lines shore excursions say they are fairly strenuous. Any help would be appreciated.

The shore excursion to Corinth, which includes a cruise on the Corinth Canal, would be an excellent choice from Pireaus. There's some walking through the ruins, but the walkways are pretty level so it's nothing like climbing the Acropolis.

Also, if you have time, you can go to La Platka (the historic market, which is now a pedestrian zone) in the heart of Athens for some shopping.

Norm.