Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Ephesus Ruins & Mary's House

Hi!! We are coming to Kusadasi by a cruise ship for a short stay (from 7am to 12noon) and in this time I would like to visit Ephesus Ruins (I have always had an interest to see it!) I would like to know how much time enough to visit for Ephesus Ruins? I would like to visit Mary’s House, too. I could not decide between 2 itineraries. ***edited by mod***

EPHESUS TOURS (P01) EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS (3-4 hours)
EPHESUS TOURS (P02) EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS + HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY (3-4 hours)

Need advice and recommendations, thanx in advance!

Last edited by Kuki; February 11th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ephesus is incredible, but it is normall quite hot there, and the walking tour finds very litte shade, so you won't spend too long there.

I'd say you can easily fit in the visit to the House of Mary as well, as it's also a short visit.
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you for your suggestion. I made a mistake on P02. It should have been 4-5 hours istead of 3-4. Do I have still enough time to do P02.
EPHESUS TOURS (P02) EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS + HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY (4-5 hours)
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Talking Time in Kusadasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcruisemate View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I made a mistake on P02. It should have been 4-5 hours istead of 3-4. Do I have still enough time to do P02.
EPHESUS TOURS (P02) EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS + HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY (4-5 hours)
If those are ship's tours being offered for your sailing, then you will have enough time. The ship's Shore Excursion staff will schedule them very carefully.

If those are private tours offered by an independent company you need to check it out very carefully. Usually independent companies are very aware of the ship's sailing time and make sure you get back. However if it is a big bus tour taking passengers from several ships, you need to be careful.

Ephesus itself is huge. How much time you spend there depends on how much time you have! The Terrace Houses are a very popular addition to tours and of course involve extra time.

The Temple of Artemis is basically just one restored column in the middle of a field. However, it was one of the major places of power of antiquity and if you are one who feels the power of the gods and goddesses still lingering in ancient sites it is a place that may call to you. There is no need to spend very much time there.

The House of Mary is also not very big ... just a small house with a shrine in it. It really does not take much time unless you want to do private worship, in which case you would need to be on a private tour.

You can see a few tours we have been on in Kusadasi at
Grand Princess Mediterranean Cruise Review
http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html
http://www.bully4.us/blacksea2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Admiral

coolcruisemate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you View Post
Hi!! We are coming to Kusadasi by a cruise ship for a short stay (from 7am to 12noon) and in this time I would like to visit Ephesus Ruins (I have always had an interest to see it!) I would like to know how much time enough to visit for Ephesus Ruins? I would like to visit Mary’s House, too. I could not decide between 2 itineraries. ***edited by mod***

EPHESUS TOURS (P02) EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS + HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY (3-4 hours)

Need advice and recommendations, thanx in advance!
If you want to visit the house of the virgin Mary, which is a Greek Orthodox shrine, take the tour that includes it.

However, in view of your tight time constraints, I strongly recommend booking your tour through the ship. Ephesus is a modest distance from the port, and any delay on your return could cause you to miss the ship if you go on your own. If you are on the ship's tour, the ship will either delay its departure until you return or make alternate arrangements to get you back aboard at no cost to you if there's a problem. If you go on your own, you get to pay for your own transportation to the next port of call and your hotels and meals until you rejoin the ship.

Norm.
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
coolcruisemate,

If you want to visit the house of the virgin Mary, which is a Greek Orthodox shrine, take the tour that includes it.

However, in view of your tight time constraints, I strongly recommend booking your tour through the ship. Ephesus is a modest distance from the port, and any delay on your return could cause you to miss the ship if you go on your own. If you are on the ship's tour, the ship will either delay its departure until you return or make alternate arrangements to get you back aboard at no cost to you if there's a problem. If you go on your own, you get to pay for your own transportation to the next port of call and your hotels and meals until you rejoin the ship.

Norm.
On most of a number of trips to Europe, I've used private tour operators, and guess what... I've never missed the ship. I think Norm is a bit paranoid

The advantage to private tours is that you can move much faster and see much more than on a ship's tour.

On many ship's tours they waste an hour and a half of valuable time stopping for lunch (mostly in very average restaurants too).

We've used private operators in Turkey, and did all three spots, and stopped for a bite to eat,and got to tour some private residential areas, and a bit of shopping, without feeling rushed. And for the Ephesus portion of the tour our guide was a university professor who taught archeology.

Ship's tours are fine if you're nervous about making it back to the ship, but move only as fast as the slowest person.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Kuki, read the original post. The ship will just be in port 0700-1200. Given it takes a few mintues to get off, and you are usually requested to be onboard some minutes before leaving, taking a 4-5 hour private tour is really pushing the envelope.

With that short of time, I would either opt for a private tour that you can control your speed and plan on being back by 1100 or actually take a ship's excursion. Me, I would take the ships excursion to the Terrace Houses.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Admiral

You're right, I didn't read that. What ship stops in Kusdasi until Noon??? That's dumb!
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Kuki, read the original post. The ship will just be in port 0700-1200. Given it takes a few mintues to get off, and you are usually requested to be onboard some minutes before leaving, taking a 4-5 hour private tour is really pushing the envelope.

With that short of time, I would either opt for a private tour that you can control your speed and plan on being back by 1100 or actually take a ship's excursion. Me, I would take the ships excursion to the Terrace Houses.
Well, you are right about time constraints. This is an ongoing balancing act between the safety of the ship's excursions and the freedom and efficiency of private excursions.

There are some excellent private operators in Ephesus who have outstanding reputations. Their first and foremost priority is getting passengers back to their ship on time because they know their reputation depends on it. We used one of them with excellent results. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea2.html

Honestly, it is inconceivable to me that a ship's excursion, even with limited time in port, would skip a visit to a carpet factory and sales room. While this is an interesting experience and many people like it, if it is NOT your cup of tea you are likely to be very resentful at enduring a one hour sales pitch during your limited excursion time. A private tour will also make a big effort to get you to a carpet factory but if you stand your ground and insist it is YOUR tour, you can avoid it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you View Post
Honestly, it is inconceivable to me that a ship's excursion, even with limited time in port, would skip a visit to a carpet factory and sales room. While this is an interesting experience and many people like it, if it is NOT your cup of tea you are likely to be very resentful at enduring a one hour sales pitch during your limited excursion time. A private tour will also make a big effort to get you to a carpet factory but if you stand your ground and insist it is YOUR tour, you can avoid it.
When I did the half day tour to Ephesus and Mary's House during a port of call in Kusadasi, there was no "carpet factory and sales room" on the tour -- and it's a good thing, as there was no time for it.

I have taken several ship's tours in both Istanbul and Kusadasi, and only one has made such a stop. The description of that tour, which was in Istanbul, explicitly mentioned the stop at the carpet shop in the Grand Bazaar.

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Lots of pictures from a tour I did that included most of that including a carpet place and lunch, and was a private tour:
Carnival Freedom - Izmir - Ephesus
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We used with my wife Shore Excursions Kusadasi when we were with Celebrity Cruises and they did a perfect private tour with a privat car and a private guide, more then we expected, specialy took a reccommanded tour guide (Haluk).
They showed us everything that we asked for.Highly reccommand it.

Daniel Downey
Hillary Downey
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We used with my wife adavegas travel / Adavegas Travel | Ephesus Excursions | Private Ephesus Tours | Istanbul Excursions | Turkey Tours when we were with Celebrity Cruises and they did a perfect private tour with a private van and a private guide, more then we expected, specialy took a reccommanded tour guide 'Kai'.
He showed us everything that we asked for and more .Highly recommended.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

If anyone is cruising to Turkey and is interested in a shore excursion of Ephesus and İstanbul then please visit our website and tours : Adavegas Travel | Ephesus Excursions | Private Ephesus Tours | Istanbul Excursions | Turkey Tours
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
First Mate

I bookmarked your website. We will be going to Ephasus next year

Next Up NCL Jade
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

You'll need at least 2 hours to visit Ephesus. Enter at one end and the only exit is at the other end. Fantastic site though. If time is short, I would stick to Ephesus and don't rush it. House of Mary was just a little disappointing to me but my mother in law absolutely loved it. We booked a shore excursion with Shore Excursions / Shore Trips / Cruise Tour Excursions / All tours are Private because they accommodated my grandmother who could not walk very much.