Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Novice needs lots of advice.

HELP!! I will be going on my first European cruise, on the first sailing of the new Carnival Magic....I know nothing about everything needed to get me through my port days..so, gang...HELP! These are my ports.

Leaving from Venice to:

Dubrovnik,Messina, Naples, Livorno, Rome Monte Carlo,and end up in Barcelona..I won't be pre or post cruising,and leaving some ports open to just walking around..I do want to go to Capri..

Tell me all about Money, where to get it...evreyone of these ports use Euros? Will anyone accept our money, I really don't think so, but hope so

Hints..do's and DONT'S....how far inland are some of these the cities from the pier? I need all your imput.
Thanks so much!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
HELP!! I will be going on my first European cruise, on the first sailing of the new Carnival Magic....I know nothing about everything needed to get me through my port days..so, gang...HELP! These are my ports.

Leaving from Venice to:

Dubrovnik,Messina, Naples, Livorno, Rome Monte Carlo,and end up in Barcelona..I won't be pre or post cruising,and leaving some ports open to just walking around..I do want to go to Capri..

Tell me all about Money, where to get it...evreyone of these ports use Euros? Will anyone accept our money, I really don't think so, but hope so

Hints..do's and DONT'S....how far inland are some of these the cities from the pier? I need all your imput.
Thanks so much!

Hi Trip,
moneywise, all Europe is in Euro's. There are many atm's in cities. Make sure your debitcard is worldwide. Or you can use the atm on board?

My hairdresser tells me the ship docks right in Dubrovnik, short walk to the city. Walk on the walls was the advice.
Same goes for Monte Carlo, that is not so big, not far from the center either.
Do you have time in Barcelona? Its a gorgious city.
For the other ports I really dont know, I will be on the Magic in september. Be sure to keep in touch with the CD John Heald, he is european and he can give you some good hints and tips on your seadays :P

You can try and read up on Italy ports on CC, very informative. There is also a roll call with people who set up excursions, maybe an idea to hook up with them?

I wish I was going with you.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Trip

The official currency of Croatia (Dubrovnik) is the Kuna. Croatia is not in the EU. The Euro is the official currency for the rest of your ports. I suspect the acceptance of the euro will be fairly widespread.

However, that said, provided you use small denominations, the greenback will be accepted anywhere.

I think there are 2 ports in Dubrovnik, do you know which one you will be using?

Rome city is approx 40 miles from the port. I never visited Rome by cruiseline - sorry I can't help there.

Livorno to Pisa/Florence will be easy by train. Livorno is 90 mins away from Florence. Pisa is often overlooked IMHO - the Field of Miracles has the wow factor, for me anyway.

MonteCarlo is so tiny - that is a walk in the park. However mot tourists for the cathedral where Grace Kelly is buried.

Barcelona - again do you which port you are using?

Annie

BTW you could always use your cc instead of currency notes. As I think of more, I will post back.

Last edited by anniegb; February 27th, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Leaving from Venice to:

Thanks so much!
Nice cruise!

I have only been to some of those ports. You will love them.

Frankly, we found that the US$ is still acceptable in almost all of Europe. If you are in the major tourist areas they usually accept dozens of currencies and credit cards of all types! OTOH it is easy enough to get a handful of Euros and use them. Now if you want to get into some heavy bargaining over fairly expensive stuff, it might be best to have Euros. ATMs are ubiquitous in the tourist areas of all those ports and an easy way to top up your Euro supply. Check with your bank to make sure your ATM is activated for Europe.

I certainly hope that you at least have time pre-cruise for a gondola ride in Venice! Honestly, just booking one through the ship would probably be easiest, although if your ship offers a shuttle to St. Mark's Square as most do, it is not hard to take the shuttle and then there are hundreds of gondolas waiting. Venice is terribly expensive.

Naples itself is right next to the ship and you could just get off and walk around. However Pompeii, Herculaneum and the Amalfi Coast are big attractions here. There are lots of ship's tours or independent guides.

Livorno is usually viewed as a port from which to visit Tuscany or Florence, by way of Pisa. If you have not seen the Leaning Tower it is a hoot, and Florence is of course an art lover's paradise. It is an hour or more from the port. A ship's tour can work very well there. We had been there before, so we opted for a private tour to a Renaissance Castle in Tuscany for a cooking lesson! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html

The port for Rome is Civitavecchia and is an hour or more from the city. One day in Rome is a whirlwind tour in any case. If you want inside visits, especially to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's, you absolutely want to be with an excellent guide! Otherwise you will spend your entire day standing in lines. However, if you just want to see the monuments and take pictures, there are excellent HOHO buses available from the city transportation plaza. Most ships offer an independent tour that will drop you off there.

Barcelona is a beautiful city. We had a day post cruise there. The HOHO bus is also very good here, as much of the beauty of the city is in its architecture.

Check out our trip reports and pictures at Grand Princess Mediterranean Cruise Review, http://www.bully4.us/holyland3.html, and http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html for some ideas about the Mediterranean.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Last edited by MercedMike; February 27th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

No one else can plan your trip. We all have differing tastes, experiences. Go to your library to get books like Cruising for Dummies, all of the many European travel books by Fodor, Frommer and Lonely Planet. These three also have excellent online forums. Also the forums of TripAdvisor.com.One interesting hint; Europe is good destination to economize on cabin choice since you are mainly in port. Try for a last minute special on Inside Guaranties; around time for final payment pricing always comes down(done over a dozen of them).
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the input everyone, I am digesting it all,and researching more.
I will get together with my gf to decide which ports will get more attention
I wil be back!

Old March 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Trip, My gf and I are also on this sailing. I am so excited. We did a Med cruise 2 yrs ago with different ports. We got some euros from our local bank and then used a debit card as needed over there.you will get the best exchange rate this way. Croatia is the only place not on the euro system but I think most places accept them. We are planning to take the ship sposored bus to Florence but book our own tickets to the museum to see the David as it is much cheaper.Just google it for info. We have been to Rome before so we will do something else there. It has so much to offer it's hard to see it all in a day so some kind of tour is probably best for you. Keep in mind that public transportation in Italy can go on strike at any time. They do this often and can last a couple hours to all day. For this reason I avoid counting on it when planning excursions on my own when cruising. Have fun planning. I will try to stop in on chat Monday if you have more questions.
Karrie
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Hi Karrie,
So nice to see we will be sailing together. Should be alot of fun I am anxious to see Capri, as I would love to purchase some beads, maybe some Murano as well, to use in my designs....

In Dubrovnik, for now, the plan is just to walk around and ship...Walking the wall is not something my gf and I are too interested in..window shopping, cafes, and people watching, is right up our alley. Other ports, not sure what we will do, but, researching is fun.

At the moment I am unable to get into chat....I am working on that, so hopefully, I will see you there...Thanks for your imput,and maybe we can meet up onboard...