CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Mediterranen trans atlantic cruise princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/383771-mediterranen-trans-atlantic-cruise-princess.html)

chaching July 17th, 2011 03:45 PM

Mediterranen trans atlantic cruise princess

We are going on our second Med cruie on Princess and this time we are lookingto see some different sites. if possible can anyone help me with the following questions.

*Florence we stop here twice on the cruise. Since we saw Pisa Last time we are taking the ships tour to Florance. On the second stop we were considering a visit to Lucca> Should we take the ship tour or catch a train to Lucca as we did to Pisa on our first visit. Is there a train that goes to Lucca?

*Santorini is there a bus or how any idea how much a taxi ride is to Oia. we want tospend some time ther this time.

*Corfu Any recomendations for a private tour or taxi to see the area we enjoyed our tour there last time.

* Split Do we need a tour or can we walk the area?

* Civitavecchiasince we are spending time in pre cruise we thought about the ships tour to Umbria and Orvieto any ever been there.

* Barcelona we were going totake the hop on off bus?

* Lisbon any ideas

* Ponta delgada Any idea
Thanks for your ideas

johnthed0g July 17th, 2011 06:23 PM

Civitavecchia is the stop for Rome...people go in by train but it can be risky time wise, a couple of hours by road but we did the ship-trip.
Barcelona is an interesting place to just walk around, our ship had a free bus to the base of Las Ramblas (main street)
Lisbon...watch out for the big bridge when you sail in, depends where the ship docks what you can do on your own, there are interesting trips but again an interesting place to walk around, some really nice restaurants in the Marina by the bridge. Haven't been to the others.

anniegb July 17th, 2011 07:00 PM

Hi

How much pre-cruise time are you spending in Rome?

Orvieto and Umbria - I have visited both; Umbria from memory is a 2 to 3 hr train ride from Rome. These timings may have changed since my last visit. Orvieto has a great cathedral and very interesting place to visit. A must do is the Orvieto underground tour. Fabulous wine - but of course that will be of no interest.

Train to Lucca is very easy - which port?

Here is a link to the Italian rail system

www.trenitalia.com

Annie

chaching July 17th, 2011 07:57 PM

We spent five days in rome before our last cruise and will be spending four days pre cruise this time.We have seen most of rome but The underground tour of the vatican and the catecombs seem like something we would like to see this time

We would be taking the train from livorno.we took the train from there to pisa last timebut didn'tknow how difficult it was to take the train to Lucca

thanks

anniegb July 18th, 2011 04:03 AM

Hi

For Lucca - change at Pisa Centrale - quite easy. Total journey time approx 60 mins.

For Orvieto - direct trains from Termini I think - aprox 60-90 mins.

Annie

green_rd July 18th, 2011 07:05 AM

We tendered into split and you are right at Diocletians palace and the old town around it.

Santorini - I'm pretty sure I remember there was a bus to Oia, we climbed the volcano and then spent the rest of our time in Thira.

KayAnnie July 18th, 2011 12:14 PM

Split is very easy to walk around as you tender right into the old city, and the Diocletian Palace is right there. I also find Barcelona very easy to do on my own, but the HOHO bus is not a bad option.

chaching August 2nd, 2011 02:25 PM

monaco and splt

I heard there was a train that would take you around Monaco does anyone have any idea where we can catch it? Also is the walking tour of split good and where would we catch it? thanks:D

lulu48 August 2nd, 2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaching (Post 1384814)
I heard there was a train that would take you around Monaco does anyone have any idea where we can catch it? Also is the walking tour of split good and where would we catch it? thanks:D

Do you mean the tourist train?
http://www.monacotours.mc/?lg=en