CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   best place to spend Christmas in Europe ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/386371-best-place-spend-christmas-europe.html)

travelagent December 6th, 2011 04:21 AM

best place to spend Christmas in Europe ?

anniegb December 6th, 2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelagent (Post 1404444)

You would have to give us a lot more info so some of us can try and advise.

What are your likes and dislikes?

Annie

kandajones December 6th, 2011 09:45 AM

As Annie says, it really depends on what you are looking for ...

Germany is always a winner for atmoshpere, especially in the run up to Christmas with all their Markets.

For snow & skiing, then you are looking to the counties with a foot in the Alps or Dolomites.

For sunshine, you are down in the Med

For the Northern Lights you are heading up North to Norway, Sweden :cool: etc. and if you are lucky parts of Scotland. btw next year is supposed to be the most active for a long time.

Then of course if you are thinking of staying over the New Year, it had to be Edinburgh or the amazing firework display in Madeira.:D

So many places, so little spare cash :(
Alan.

travelagent December 7th, 2011 04:43 PM

i think London is the best place to enjoy Christmas.

anniegb December 7th, 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelagent (Post 1404753)

Would not be my first choice - too manic.

I like Vienna and Prague.

Slightly off topic,I would love to be in Vienna for the New Year's Day concert.

Annie

JonE June 2nd, 2012 12:37 PM

Crimble 2012

Scotland for snow, scenery & whiskey

Germany has great markets

Else, best place is with the family - renting a cottage or cabin with a real open fire makes it better

Marc June 2nd, 2012 02:25 PM

For Christmas Day itself, Jerusalem and Bethlehem; just a short flight from most of Europe. Most of Europe is really cold over Christmas so we opted for two weeks in Israel and Jordan. Christmas Day in Jerusalem and New Years Eve and Day in Petra.

Other great places for Christmas would be Vienna (although I agree New Years is best) and Rome. Christmas markets in Germany leading up to Christmas are fantastic; I just don't know what is actually going on Christmas Day.

Trackypup June 2nd, 2012 03:03 PM

I would love to spend Christmas in Vienna

lulu48 June 2nd, 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelagent (Post 1404753)

So you are not looking for a place just opinions :rolleyes:

Marc June 2nd, 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulu48 (Post 1430972)
So you are not looking for a place just opinions :rolleyes:

Nice catch. :mad:

jared21 September 4th, 2012 04:56 AM

Best places in Europe? there is a lot of diversity here in Europe, but i do love London in the winter especially when it snows, plus i live about 2 hours away :p. I went to Germany when i was younger too, i cant remember the city it might have been cologne :( but the sausages are amazing and they have loads of market stalls selling hot chocolate and beer. But if i was to go anywhere in Europe during Christmas it would have to be Vienna, they have a market every year and its full of lights and hundreds of stalls selling proper gingerbread and loads of gift ideas. :cool:
You could see them all at some of these cruises though:rolleyes:....

storybookcruises.com September 4th, 2012 02:41 PM

We were going to do what we thought was a perfect way to spend Christmas in Europe; a river cruise on the Uniworld S.S. Antoinette for their Holiday Market cruise on the Rhine. All the towns are decorated for the holidays and all have wonderful holiday markets, shows, food, drink, entertainment, etc. making for a wonderful experience.

Unfortunately, our son got sick the day we were to leave and had to cancel. Perhaps we'll try again this year.

Pete

cruisissimo September 6th, 2012 07:55 PM

I would say that best place to spend Christmas is Italy and Paris - warm, friendly, festive atmosphere, excellent cuisine, big pleasure.

gabistom September 19th, 2012 08:46 AM

As Christmas is the best event of the Year it becomes more joyful and entertaining if you got some nice place to celebrate if as you just mentioned in you forum.

aerospace September 19th, 2012 02:54 PM

I'll be spending Christmas in Europe with family, either Germany or Ireland not sure yet :)

maliah.michel.376 February 13th, 2014 12:27 PM

Strongly Agree :)

Marc February 13th, 2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1404761)
Would not be my first choice - too manic.

I like Vienna and Prague.

Slightly off topic,I would love to be in Vienna for the New Year's Day concert.

Annie

Interesting that this old thread got resurrected.

Annie, after a long cruise Dubai to Cape Town, we are going to spend three days in London over Christmas. You say it is "too manic;" sounds actually a bit fun. What should we try to fit into a short time (we arrive on 23rd and leave on 26th)?

thanks,

Marc