Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Italian Ports help needed.

I am looking to visit a number of Italian ports, probably next year year but will probably only be able to have a limited amount of time at each location (perhaps only 2 days)

Can anyone suggest as to what are best places to go to/see in any of the following locations:-

Capri
Florence
Genoa
Naples
Palermo
Portofino
Rome
Sardinia
Sorrento
Taormina
Venice

(Tour companies generally recommend staying in the old parts of port towns) but happy to read other suggestions and/or recommendations.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Rome Ports

Rome and Florence are in-land, but I'm sure you know that. Both can be reached by Civitavecchia, but it can be difficult to see in one or two days. Genoa is possibly the most beautiful Italian port that I've visited. Naples is beautiful, too, and near Pompeii if you want to visit. I've never been to Venice. I look forward to hearing about your trip! I've taken cruises arriving/leaving from Civitavecchia and from Genoa and I've taken the Italian trains, which are outstanding! If you want to see Florence and Rome, I'd suggest taking the trains. Happy travels!
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Capri - relatively accessible by jet ferry from Naples
Florence - one of my favorite cities, with much to do and see - Uffizi Gallery, and the Academia are must sees.
Genoa - an industrial port city.
Naples - also an industrial port city (known for great pizza), and the gateway to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.
Palermo
Portofino
Rome - so much to see and do... the Vatican, the Colliseum - easy to get around walking and using trains.
Sardinia
Sorrento - a beautiful resort city. Once you get transportation to it, relatively easy to do on your own.
Taormina - just there - a quaint town built on the side of a mountain. A bit like an outdoor mall housed in historic buildings, but fun.
Venice - a wonderful city to just wander, and take water buses to different locales.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools789 View Post
I am looking to visit a number of Italian ports, probably next year year but will probably only be able to have a limited amount of time at each location (perhaps only 2 days)

Can anyone suggest as to what are best places to go to/see in any of the following locations:-

Capri
Florence
Genoa
Naples
Palermo
Portofino
Rome
Sardinia
Sorrento
Taormina
Venice

(Tour companies generally recommend staying in the old parts of port towns) but happy to read other suggestions and/or recommendations.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Be sure to check the dates you will be in each city since some museums are closed on certain days. For example, the Uffizi and Accademia in Florence are closed on Mondays.

Purchase any entrance tickets on line before leaving to avoid long lines.

Use a guide and or tour company to get the most out of your visit. Using a private service we were able to have a guided tour of the Vatican museum and the Colloseum, and several other highlights plus lunch while on a one day stop.

I love Taormina, but there are other options such as Mt Etna, or The Godfather tour.

From Naples there are many options such as Capri, Sorrento, Positano. Pompeii and several other places along the Amalfi Coast.

Venice can be done on your own or you can pre-book tours. I really enjoy doing Venice on my own and try to allow a day to visit the Islands of Murano and Burrano if at all possible. Pre-book entry to St Mark's Basilica and a Vaporetto or Alilaguna pass. If you are on a cruise, you can use a private water taxi, or Alilaguna to get your directly to St Marks Square then use the vaporetto. You can also walk to the people mover which will get you about a block from Piazzle Roma where you can catch the vaporetto. We personally found it easier to grab a taxi (5 euro for 4) at the ship and went directly to Piazzle Roma. The people mover involved more walking and was 4 euro for 4 people.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days