Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default What to do/see in Athens pre-cruise

We will be spending a few days pre cruise in Athens to get over the jet lag. Any and all recomondations are welcome! Also, we've yet to book our flights and our pre days are flexible. Any recomondations on fly in destinations other than Athens? We're open to anything!
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Athens is a fantastic city for a pre cruise.

Parthenon, Acropolis Museum, Plaka, Temple of Zeus, Olympic Stadium, Syntagma Square, Agora are a start. Then, if you want to travel a bit, temple of poseidon and Delphi are great day trips. Even further, you can go to Corinth. I ended up doing a precruise in Athens three straight years. Athens has always been one of my favorite cities but my wife had never been. After three years, she had finally seen most of the sites.

If you want a driver recommendation, I can provide name and phone number for driver we used all three years. He has also been used by a number of friends.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Everything Marc said plus the National Archeology Museum.

Athens is probably your best destination airport unless you can get a cheap flight to one of the big European gateways plus a cheap continental flight.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:32 PM
Familiar Face

Very good advice! Has anyone used TourCrafters? Marc, this driver is a private individual? We will be in Athens pre cruise and Rome post cruise. Also thinking of seeing Pisa on the out and i've heard taking the train to Zurich is pretty stunning and flying out of Zurich, although that might be a bit stressful to try and figure out for a first timer?
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Yes, driver is a private individual; a taxi driver, not a guide. We have used him for Delphi, the Peloponese, Temple of Poseidon, and transfer to ship.

For Rome I strongly recommend Scala Reale, now known as Context Rome, for walking tours. We took a number of their small group tours and one private tour.

There are lots of great train trips in Switzerland but I don't know if I would recommend as a post cruise; there are always plenty of opportunities to get to Europe. If anything, I would recommend three days in Rome followed by short flight to Paris and three days in Paris then home.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

If Venice isn't on your cruise, you could fly there and take the ferry to Athens...