Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Texas

Default Do you take your kids out of school to cruise?

I've been reading a lot of boards, where parents are taking their kids out of school to cruise. Is this a common practice? Recently, before Thanksgiving, my niece's paternal grandmother took her on a cruise. My niece missed Thursday and Friday and I was more upset than my sister. The grandmother is retired and my niece has a fall break (kind of like a spring break but in the fall) before Christmas she could have taken her then. I've read some reviews where parents take their kids out of school for a week or longer to cruise in February or some other time when I know school is in session. I love kids, I work with them almost every weekend but I was just concerned about parents taking them out of school to cruise. They have so many school breaks now, a cruise can easily be planned to adhere to their school breaks. Just wondering. I'm a big education person and taking a child out of school for a cruise is a bit much. No I'm not a teacher. Especially since they have summer break, fall break, Thanksgiving and Christmas break, Spring Break not to mention all the long weekends...Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day, President's Day, Martin Luther King Day.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Do you take your kids out of school to cruise?

Hi Texas,
I too took the kids out of school for a vacation/cruise and only did that once. I think its a tough choice, but sometimes missing a day or two of school is the only drawback. You need to talk to the teachers and school and make a decision from what they inform you. There are school breaks that you can do the same thing, usually, it all depends on other details. I've heard of some people that always take the kids out of school for vacations and I don't agree with that, but sometimes you just have to. I think it also depends on what type of student the kids are, can they easily make up what they have missed, so its a kind of personal choice.

Donnassei
Old February 8th, 2001, 04:21 PM
ssmetalmom

I have always taken my daughter out of school for vacations. I work for a company where your vacation selection goes by seniority & needless to say, school vacation weeks are the first to go, including summer, so if I want to vacation as a family, I have no choice. this being said, my daughter is a straight A student (7th grade) & I have always received cooperation from the teachers. She does her work & reading during the vacation & works harder when she gets back. If her grades suffered I wouldn't do it.
Old February 8th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Admiral

My son is in grade two so I didn't think it was too serious as he is keeping up with the rest of the class. I asked the teacher for extra work..much to my son's dismay and our battle.

I've been brought up believing that travel and social abilities are another part of a full education. For the experience of cruising or most other travel on the Canadian dollar, this is unfortunately the most affordable time of year for us to travel...off season.

I'd much rather spend the time as a family than leave him behind with someone else if that was possible. Of course, as the school study schedule becomes more serious, this will be more and more of a decision.
Old February 10th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Hi...the problem of cruising with kids during summer vacation period and holidays is that ships are 100% full of families with kids. On a 2,000 passenger Carnival ship, there may be 700 children! On the popular cruise lines, fares will be at their highest and airfare is high as well.

On ships I've been aboard, I've seen some -- not huge numbers -- of kids. This probably has something to do with the vacation period of the parents. Or, it's much less expensive to cruise then.

Personally, I think travel is one of life's most educational experiences, so I have no problem with kinds taking a week off from school.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates
Old February 11th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Joe Sagat

I would agree Anne. I'm a father of (4) children who pays close attention to my children's school "responsibilities". Why do some people feel that the only time a child will learn is when they are in their classroom. For the average Joe, these type of trips don't occur more then once every five or so years and us family types are looking for the deals as well.

I remember my first taste of salt water and what a starfish felt like. I also remember my parents teaching me my homework while I was on vacation. The only difference was that instead of being in the classroom, I was out on the road experiencing it first hand. To this day I remember what I learned in my homework (Newton's Second Law). "Dad please stop...."

Once again,,,,it's not the kids,,,it's the parents....
Old February 14th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

I think that for myself I see no problem in taking your kids out of school. Some times the only way to be able to afford something special like this for your children IS to take them out of school. You have one life to live and give so enjoy.
Old February 14th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

Kudos to u. We have 4 children also.
Old February 15th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Joy Booker

We are planning to cruise next January and are taking the kids along (their first time, husband and I have gone several times). I agree with some of the other posters, they can learn a lot on a vacation.

The one question that was holding me back - should we take them out of school for a vacation? We have pretty much decided we are going to go for it. My 10 year old twins will be in middle school then, my younger in 4th grade (I am not worried about him so much).

We will do what others have said, get assignments ahead of time, work with them while we are on the road and ship, with the understanding that they may have some catching up to do when they return.

We could not afford to go at any of the times they are not scheduled in school, but really wanted them to experience a cruise (this is where my husband and I met, on a cruise, so they are curious....).

I can't wait, and neither can they! By the way, we are planning to go on Carnival's Celebration, and the trip we are taking is actually a fundraiser (Carnival is the only cruiseline that offers fundraisers....). All 5 of us are going for less than $2,000 for a 5 nighter, which is awesome!
Old February 16th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

We never had any problem taking our kids out of school until they hit high school age. The workload involved, not to mention the school's attitude towards attendance, have pretty much forced us to stick to vacation times until the youngest graduates high school. We are able to cruise on her spring break, which falls in March, but find the fares much too high to cruise in the summer. We usually do some kind of land-based vacation in the summer months. She no longer gets a fall break, so that is out for us as well.

A lot depends on your school's attitude toward attendance. Prior to high school we never had a problem with the teachers and school letting the kids make up their school work or do it while we were on vacation. Now the rules are much more strict. If they miss more than three days without a doctors excuse they could lose the credit for the class and every hour missed must be made up in "Saturday school". Travel other than for an academic reason is not an "acceptable excuse" for missing school. While I do agree that travel does make our children brighter, more sociable, improves their self-esteem, and broadens their horizons, I don't see the point in our taking a vacation outside the scheduled non-attendance days and having them be "punished" for missing school for our vacation. So, for now, we'll stick to the spring. (three years and counting - lol)

Tina
Old February 17th, 2001, 05:30 PM
kenny holt

I have three girls two in high school and the other in the 2nd grade.This is the first time that i will be taking them out of school for our yearly trip.They have cruised before.but like other posters have said the cost to cruise on those no school time are very high.I chosed to cruise this year in Sept.They start school here in Puerto Rico were we live in August.So they will still have most of the year to get and keep the grades up.

kenny
Old April 24th, 2001, 03:10 AM
Averil

I HAVE A SON WHO WILL BE IN THE FIRST GRADE IN SEPT OF 2001. WE WILL BE TAKING HIM OUT OF SCHOOL FOR OUR 5TH CRUISE. HIS 4TH, HE LOVES GOING I WOULD NEVER WANT TO LEAVE HIM BEHIND. OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT ASK THAT YOU GIVE THEM 2 TO 3 WEEKS NOTICE OF TAKING YOUR CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL. I FEEL THAT IS VERY FAIR. WE CAN ONLY AFFORD TO TRAVEL ON THE OFF SEASONS IT IS ALOT CHEAPER. WE ARE GOING ON SENSATION ON OCTOBER 21ST. CAN'T WAIT. MY SON DEVEN IS COUTING DAY!!!!!!!
Old April 24th, 2001, 02:24 PM
KC

I want to hear more about this fundraiser thing - can you give me any details?

thanks,

KC