Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori
Default 2 per cabin on Princess?

I am interested in knowing how families have handled the two passengers per cabin rule on Princess cruises. We are looking to go to Alaska and would like to consider Princess, but in the regular cabins you are limited to two passengers and in the mini-suites they sometimes allow three. We have two small kids and unless there are adjoining cabins I can't book two. What have others done? We just got back from a Mexican Riviera on Royal Caribbean Rhapsody and had the family stateroom (not the family suite). It was fantastic -slept six, lots of room and even some privacy for the adults. It doesn't look like Princess offers the same. Thanks - Lori
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Luisa

Default Re: 2 per cabin on Princess?

I am the new family cruise editor for CruiseMates.com. I just contacted Princess Cruises and they confirmed what I thought -- there is no rule stipulating two people per cabin. Perhaps since the brochure says fares are based on "double occupancy," you thought that it's only two passengers per cabin. We cruised on Princess and took full advantage of the upper third and fourth berths in standard cabins. While Princess doesn't offer children's rates, it does have third and fourth passenger fares. For Alaska, those start at $299 per person.
By the way, we loved Princess' youth program -- out of our 10 family cruises, it is at the top of the list! And Alaska is a wonderful family destination. Good luck with your plans!
Regards,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old March 15th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

Perhaps I worded my first message wrong regarding two passengers per cabin. Last year (my kids were two and four) we booked a Caribbean cruise on one of the ships (Sea Princess?) and I had a terrible time finding a cabin that would accomodate children. At the time I felt my two year old could NOT sleep in an upper berth and besides we wanted a little larger cabin. Princess would not let us book a mini-suite for the four of us (even though they were both small children and could easily have shared the fold-out couch) and they had no adjoining cabins on the ship. We finally ended up booking with relatives and splitting the kids between two mini-suites. We didn't go on the trip - we had to cancel due to a scheduling conflict.

For Alaska we would once again like to book a larger cabin, especially one with a balcony. Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think any of those cabins come with third or fourth bunks. We just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise on RCL's Rhapsody. They offer Family Staterooms (not the pricey Family Suites) that are as large as their suites and sleep up to six (Queen bed, sofa bed, bunk beds). I still did not feel comfortable having either of my kids sleep on the upper berth as the rail was very short. I'm not trying to put down Princess, I just don't understand why they don't make it easy for us to all sleep together.
Old March 19th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Eva

Hello - My husband and I had the same problem on Princess. We are 4 travelling to Alaska - our kids are 12 and 8 respectively. Princess did not have a cabin that was going to fill our needs (we wanted a verandah - wouldnt settle for an outside cabin minus the Verandah). We decided not to book with Princess.

Have you tried Celebrity? We have been on Celebrity's ship the Century and loved it so much - we went on it again. We have been on 5 other cruises (3 on Celebrity and 2 on Carnival) Also - Try HAL. They seemed to have cabins that fit families.
Old March 23rd, 2001, 04:17 PM
Luisa

I spoke with Princess Cruises and as you said, unfortunately on the Sun class ships, the mini-suites just sleep three people in lower berths. Any cabins sleeping four have to resort to the upper berths. When we cruise and we are faced with that option, my husband or I opt to sleep on the top bunk because we too are concerned with my daughter falling out of the top bunk.
On Princess' Grand Class ships (which don't sail to Alaska), there are mini-suites which sleep four -- two twins, one pull out sofa and one upper berth.
Old March 26th, 2001, 11:18 PM
Cruzman

Hi
My family and I sailed on the Ocean Princess last year, my parients had a outside cabin and my sister and I had a outside cabin. It keeps family tentions from happening and we had the most relaxing cruise ever!Lori wrote: