Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2001, 02:46 AM
jistme

Default family cruise

My family is going making plans to go on a cruise in 2002. My husband and I have been but want to take our kiddos, girls aged 6 and 15. Any family cruisers out there that could make some recommendations on great places to go and good lines to use. They have never had a real vacation and have never seen the ocean, so want this to be a memory of a life time. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: family cruise

I love Carnival for familys. They have very good prices and have camp carnival for kids! camp carnival is great and my son loves it! Depending on how long you want to take, I would say 4-5 day cruise go to Bahamas. 7 days Eastern or western carb. The Carnival Victory is a great ship and the Pride will be out in 2002.
Old April 12th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jistme,
Actually there are a few different lines that are all good for families. Among them are Carnival, RCCL and Princess. All have good kids programs. Here is a link to some info on going on a "first cruise":

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Here is another one about going on a first cruise:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/before/Kuki-Basics1.cfm>

Just feel free to post again with any other questions you may have, I bet the whole family will love cruising, enjoy!

Donnassei
Old April 12th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Hi Jistme,
Noticed I forgot to put the "part 1" of getting ready to cruise for the first time, hope you enjoy it:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/before/Kuki-Basics.cfm>

Donnassei
Old April 13th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Hi Jistme,
Got your message that the links didn't work, not sure which one??

First cruise:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

First cruise, what to expect, part 1:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/before/Kuki-Basics.cfm>

First cruise, what to expect, part 2:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/before/Kuki-Basics1.cfm>

Hope this helps -)

Donnassei
Old April 16th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks Donna for Part 1. I must have been cruising when it was posted and pretty busy since we returned. I love to read new editorial's and views. I have been asked to organize a group cruise for a young acquaintance to celebrate their 10th anniversary. This will include their kids and folks of all ages. So far I have recommended RCI but now they need to narrow down the time of year. The anniversary is in the Summer, so they have to decide if they want to go in the Summer, Winter/Spring and possibly take the kids out of school or go on a school vacation week and to where. Planning is so much fun.
Old April 16th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Hi nana,
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, best to luck on the planning, but hey, thats half the fun. Will you also be cruising with this bunch?? Keep us posted as to what you actually decide on, enjoy!

Donnassei
Old April 17th, 2001, 12:28 AM
jistme

thanks donna, got it here on the web site!

Dorothy
Old April 17th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Luisa

I'm the new family cruise editor for CruiseMates.com. We've taken my daughter on nine cruises and she's enjoyed them all. There are two articles I wrote recently on the family site of CruiseMates.com which give lots of details about the differences in the youth programs at sea. They are: "Best Kids' Program? Ask a Kid!" and "Kids' Facilities and Activities by Cruise Line."
Your children are at a great age for enjoying the youth programs at sea along with the excitement of cruising. Since they've never seen the ocean, you may want to try a Caribbean cruise. However, our favorite cruising destination is Alaska. There's so many active things to do during port calls and the scenery is spectacular!
Good luck in your decision!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old April 18th, 2001, 02:10 PM
kjaa

Do the kids spend more time at camp carnival or with their parents? We have a 12 and 7 year old girls. This is a family vacation it is their first time on a cruise.
Old April 30th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

How fun! My husband and I have one daughter, who is now 6, and as a family have done quite a bit of travel. If I had to recommend one cruise line, which you wanted to be geared mostly toward your children, I would have to recommend the Disney Wonder. Not only are the cabins one of the largest in the industry, the food great, but the kids' programs are terrific. They are now doing 7 night cruises as well, and they hit their own island, which is pristine. When we went 18 months ago, we did the 3day land/4night cruise package. Our daughter was 5 at the time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. More so then any other place we've taken her, although we're taking the Radiance to Hawaii in Oct., we'll see what her then 7 yr old perspective will be.

As adults, you will also be impressed with the marble, art, service, and great entertainment the ship has to offer. I would be hesitant to go on a Carnival cruise with a young child, as I've always found a "partying", more crazy atmosphere on board, when travelling on Carnival.

Either way, cruising is a fantastic way to enjoy a family vacation, we always do one cruise, and one land vacation each year, and the cruise is always the favorite for our daughter!!

Amy
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:45 PM
jistme

Thanks so much Amy. The question I have is directed to the mention of the cruise/Disneyworld package. Which do you think your daughter enjoyed more, the 7 day cruise or the cruise/Disneyworld package? Is there enough to keep them occupied with for 7days? Is the island the only stop that the ship made or do they stop at several ports? I also have a soon-to-be 16year old. Did the activities seem to be exciting enough for teens. Any one had any experience with older teens on a Disney cruise?
Old May 1st, 2001, 11:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

THere is a teen only cafe, and seperate teen activities. Matter of fact, I think there is alot of emphasis on teens. We found the land part of the vacation (tha amusement park) to be exhausting....obviously. On a 4 nt cruise, we stopped at their island castaway cay, and Nassau. Our daughter loved it...you rotate through the restaurants, and they're all themed. It's fabulous. Our daughter has definetly been entertained on a 7 day cruise and would have had absolutely no problem on the Disney ship. Every morning you get the "newsletter" and it lists that day's activities at the kids' club. So your child can choose to dos-ee-doe with Snow white at 1:00, have tea w/Cinderella at 3:30, and have Tinkerbell read a story at 7pm. Or, choose to go to the Mickey pool. The entire deck 5 is all children's programs. And, it's age appropriate, so your teen wouldn't be surrounded by youngsters, he/she would have their own area.

We really enjoyed it, and still compare all of our vacations to it. Disney is such a first class company, with so much money, that it's done so nice.

I highly recommend it...let me know if you have any more questions!!

Amy
Old May 6th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Andrew

Ive been looking at cruises for me and my aunt for 2002 also and i thin the best value is Royal Caribbeans Radiance of the sea sailing the South caribbean in march. I strongly recommend this cruise because was sepcified toward families and teens
Old May 16th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Hi, My family and I with another family all went on a cruise last
year. The ages of children were 18, 17, 10 and 10 all boys. There was a 13 old girl. We all really enjoyed ourselves. We are all planning another cruise on the Celebrity line. The ship called Summit. We are not taking our older sons although they did enjoy themselves. We are going on Feb 15 2002. Your family won't be disappointed. Actually they'll love it and you'll be planning one every year. We are from up North where its cold. We look forward to the hot weather. Happy Sailing
Old May 16th, 2001, 11:08 AM
jistme

Thanks so much for your reply. I just have a couple of questions? How did the celebrity cruise compare price wise to the Disney cruises? Did you take shore excursions? Were they able to keep the kiddos entertained most of the time?
Old May 16th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Admiral

I feel Disney is very overrated by price. I have not yet traveled on the Celebrity line yet. It will be next year. The kids during the day hung out with us by the pool. They mostly stayed in the pool. We always had a meeting place so they would periodically come by and say hello. Out children were not that much interested in the childrens program. We all enjoyed the live entertainment in the evening. They did a few childrens activities. All in all they would go off and then meet up with us later. I can say the shore excursions would be alot. After the live show they would go back to their cabin and maybe play a little nintendo and then go to sleep. My older children also hung out with us. It took them alittle longer to get comfortable and go out. By the middle of the cruise they would go and be with kids their age. I never gave them a curfew because where could they go. We all stayed together in ports. After pricing various cruises, why I choose Celebrity determined by my schudele. We wanted to go 10 day cruise. So limiting this I did not want my children to miss school. Celebrity is supposed to be a step upgrade from Carnival and the food is supposed to be better. I was happy with Carnival also. I won't know about Celebrity until I travel Feb 2002.