Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2001, 12:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Med. cruise w/ kids: Millennium or Golden Princess

Am planning a summer 2002 Meditteranean cruise with my three children (ages 4,8 and 10). Will also have 5 adults in our party aged 32 to 60. Although I know the Med isn't a typical family destination, it meets the needs of the adults in our party, particularly my mom, whose birthday we're celebrating.

We're considering the Golden Princess and Celebrity Millennium, which both run similar Barcelona to Istanbul itineraries. We're looking for a high quality cruise with nice food, good service, great ports and not too many crowds.

Has anyone sailed any of these ships with children? Although I'm sure we'll be with our kids most of the time, I'm particularly interested in knowing how many children were on board, if the children's activities are running no matter how many kids there are, if room service is available, if babysitting for little ones is available on port days, and just the general suitability of these cruises for families. Any advice on cabins would be great.

Also, as a first time cruiser, I'm having a hard time assessing the differences between these ships in terms of service and quality. (My mother has sailed on HAL, and loved it. However, they aren't sailing Med itineraries next summer, and I've heard that they might not be as good with kids, so we've narrowed our search down to the two ships listed above.)

Any feedback would be so helpful! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2001, 12:02 PM
Travalot

Default Re: Med. cruise w/ kids: Millennium or Golden Prin

We're going on the Golden June 9th this year with an 18 (g), 16 (b) and a 7 (b) that will probably do the kid's program. I'll write when we get back and answer any questions I can.
Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Luisa Frey Gaynor

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com. We sailed both Celebrity Cruises and Princess Cruises with our daughter. Both lines offer a very good children's and teens' program, excellent cuisine and top service, so choosing between the two lines is difficult! I think you'll be pleased with either.
As for some of the particular questions you asked, there will be children's activities during the Med season on both lines no matter how many kids are on board. Also, both lines offer youth activities on port days. At Princess, there is an hourly fee per child and at Celebrity, there is an hourly fee from noon to 2 pm on port days, but the rest of the time from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. is free. Note that although youth counselors are present on port days, the activities are low-key compared to evenings and sea days. Both lines offer evening group babysitting (starting at 10 p.m.) while Celebrity also offers private baby-sitting in the evenings. There is an hourly charge for both types of baby-sitting.
For more details, there are two articles I've written on the web site which should prove helpful: Kids' Facilities and Programs by Cruise Line and What's the Best Cruise Line? Ask a Kid. Look under the specific sections or paragraphs I've written on Princess and Celebrity.
I'm curious to see which line you choose. Keep me posted!
Sincerely,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old June 3rd, 2001, 10:42 PM
Yanna

I'm a kid (15) and I have been on the Millennium to Europe. I really enjoyed it, they had a really nice program!
Old August 2nd, 2001, 04:48 PM
Vince

My wife and I will be doing a Europe cruise with our 8 and 10 year in 06/02. We had a tough time choosing between the Millenium and NCL's new Sun. We chose the Sun and booked it. They look like they have a huge kids area along with their own private pool. The Itinerary is great too, with Milan, Sicily, and the other usual stops.

Enjoy your trip