Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2001, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA
Default Rules for Teens

Hi There
Several postings have mentioned teens running wild on ships - especially on the larger ships. I am interested in knowing what types of rules parents have for their young teens while on board.
I have a 13 year old.... I want her to have a good time, but I also want her to be safe and not a nuisance to others. On some ships the teen disco doesn't start until 10:00 and closes at 2 a.m.!!!

Advice from other parents would be appreciated.
Anita
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Rules for Teens

We took 2 teens last summer on the Norway and are taking 1 next year on the voyager OS
We tend to be stricter than most parents at home and no surprise we found most of the kids they met on ship didn't really have many rules! My daughter was 13 last year and we told them to stick together(15 yr old stepson) of course this didn't happen all the time but they checked in with us and told us where they would be. They did not stay out till 2(really bummed them out) midnight was the curfew. They did alot of the teen things but also just hung out with new friends.
The next cruise we plan to take walkie talkies to give her a little more freedom and me peace of mind.(she's still not stayiing out till 2am!)
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:06 AM
First Mate

We took 2 teens last summer on the Norway and are taking 1 next year on the voyager OS
We tend to be stricter than most parents at home and no surprise we found most of the kids they met on ship didn't really have many rules! My daughter was 13 last year and we told them to stick together(15 yr old stepson) of course this didn't happen all the time but they checked in with us and told us where they would be. They did not stay out till 2(really bummed them out) midnight was the curfew. They did alot of the teen things but also just hung out with new friends.
The next cruise we plan to take walkie talkies to give her a little more freedom and me peace of mind.(she's still not stayiing out till 2am!)
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:22 AM
Admiral

I have a 14 year old (& 18 year old) Going on 2nd Carnival cruise next week and I think it really depends on cruise line. I had heard Carnival was a young party ship, but I found it very family friendly which is why we are sailing with them again. Younger daughter doesn't have a "curfew" yet but we are not planning to let her hang out all night either. I think once she makes a few friends on board, you may relax a little. We did purchase a pair of walkie talkies for this cruise to keep up with her.

First cruise (2 years ago when youngest daughter was 12) we ate dinner together most nights amd had check in every few hours at designated meeting place. One she made a few friends we allowed her to check in a little less frequently with agreed upon plans for shore excursions and dinner and curfew. I tend to be a more "laid back" parent and have pretty good relationship with kids (at least I think so)

A knowledgable travel agent should be able to suggest other "family friendly" cruise lines and advise accordingly.

Sorry this is a little long. Good Luck!
Old August 15th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Passenger

I'm 15 and have been on 6 cruises. when i was 13 I didn't have many rules at all. This year all I had to do was eat dinner with the family, go on the shore excursions and thats pretty much it. My brother and I had a separate room from our parents though, so coming in at 3 or 4 in the morning didnt wake them up. There was no need for check in times because there arent many places to go from a ship that there is a need to check in. You're on the ship almost all the time so you should kno that they are there the whole time. Walkie Talkies are OK but they do get annoying carrying them around. I have never used them but 1 or 2 or my friends have and they had to find a way to carry them and not get the wet or anything esp. when we went in the hot tubs etc. Just a lil insight from the kids point of view. Have fun