Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Default 2 way radios on ship

Has anyone used those 2 way radios/pagers on any of the larger ships? Traveling the end of the month with a 14 year old and 18 year old on Carnival Triumph and trying to find a way to keep in touch.Do these things really work? Looks like average range is up to 2 miles and more expensive ones have a five mile radius. Only planning to use on the ship and mostly for the 14 year old. What about interference with other radios/pagers? If anybody has any other tips for keeping in touch and willing to share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Braves Fans

Default Re: 2 way radios on ship

Cindy,

Although we haven't used them ourselves, we have seen many people using them on past cruises. The only interference you should get is from other passengers also with two way radios.

Braves Fans
Old July 9th, 2001, 04:24 PM
puwat

Cindy:
Buy the ones which have both the channel AND the code selection. You probably will run into someone using the same channel as you. The solution is to switch to a different channel OR a combination of different channel and code altogether. Most of the new Motorola units do offer both separate channel and code.
Have a good trip!
Old July 9th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks,we did go ahead a purchase a pair and they do have the code and channels. I think when we figured out the odds 1 of every five passengers would have to have the same brand we purchased because of the number of codes.
Old July 9th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA

The two-way radios worked very well on Voyager for us this March. A couple of times we were 'contacted' by someone on the same wavelength, but it really wasn't a problem. Word of advice - take LOADS of batteries. We kept our radios on nearly all day so that our daughter could contact us and we needed new batteries EVERY DAY!!!

Anita
Old July 20th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Which brand bid you purchase? We bought 3 from Bellsouth and they all work together and some other people we are traveling with have a different brand, and they all work together just as long as you are on the same channel!
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Hi Robert. Looks like Cobra Microtalk. Purchased from Best Buy in California for approximately $80/pair. Let me know if you need more info because I'll can check with expert (husband) . Several brands available with more or less channels depending on price and security features.
Old July 31st, 2001, 11:10 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor for CruiseMates.com.
A parent named Suzanne recently returned from a Celebrity Cruise with her toddler and reported that she was thankful that she brought walkie talkies. Suzanne hired a private babysitter who was able to contact her immediately via walkie talkie when her daughter became suddently very ill. (See "Cruising with infants and toddlers, Suzanne)
I'll add all the words of wisdom given here to my list of advice for parents cruising with children. Glad to hear all your feedback.
Happy sailing!
Luisa
Old August 3rd, 2001, 04:01 PM
Issa Belardo

Hello, Luisa, remember me? I was Alex's youth coordinator on the Sea Princess a few years ago, I hope she is doing well! I thought it might be worth mentioning that in the last six months the Ocean Princess now had walkie-talkies available for rent at the Purser's Desk at $4.00 a day. They came in very handy for families who didn't bring their own, and was a welcome alternative to those who didn't want to use the pagers we handed out while their kids were under our care. All the best!