Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Xmas w/ 14 month baby

We are planning a family vacation on Celebrity during Xmas. We will be a family of 6 adults (including grandparents to help out w/babysitting) and a 14 month baby.
What special things do we need to know about cruising w/ a baby? Are they able to join us in the dining room for dinner? Are cribs and highchairs provided? Any tips on bathing a year old in a cabin shower? Are kids this age able to go on shore excursions? Are they free for kids so young? I assume I should bring my own food for the baby. All tips would be appreciated.

Jess
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Celebrity Xmas w/ 14 month baby

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com and the mother of a seven year old who has already been on nine cruises. I'm expecting another child next month and we already have a cruise booked for April when he'll be seven months old. So, I'm all for cruising with kids.
You brought up some good questions. My daughter's first cruise was aboard Celebrity and the staff couldn't have been more receptive to her needs. In fact, she was the hit of the dining room nightly with the waiters! Once your waiter knows that you need a high chair on the first night, it will automatically be waiting for you at dinner nightly. You or your travel agent should call Celebrity guest services as soon as possible, however, and reserve a crib ahead of time for your cabin. Yes, you will have to bring any special baby food with you as well as diapers. (Traveling with infants and toddlers makes you feel like a pack mule at times!).
As for showering infants, my husband or I would go in the shower with our daughter and hold her while the other one soaped and rinsed her. Not ideal, but it did the trick. Luckily most ships have hand held shower heads which makes this maneuver a bit easier!
Even though it sounds like you have plenty of babysitters in your group, you may want to treat yourselves one night and hire a babysitter. We used Celebrity's prviate babysitting service one night (book it at the purser's desk ahead of time) and were very pleased with the young woman who watched our daughter.
As for shore time, I suggest consulting the shore excursions desk for suggestions on beaches that are accessible by taxi and that have facilities. I have had great success with this. I wouldn't waste too much money on shore excursions if you are toting your daughter along at this point -- they're pretty expensive and who knows how long the baby will last on a tour. It's much cheaper and child friendly to take a taxi to a beach where your little one can frolic in the water for as little or as long as she/he lasts.
I hope this helps and is the start of many family cruises for you. Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old August 11th, 2001, 05:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

I just returned from Celebrity'
s Century with my 15 month old who unfortunately got very sick with a virus the first night. So, with that in mind, bring with you any medications you can think of:Tylenol, Antibiotics, cough medicine, etc.etc. Also, I brought a small can of Scrubbing Bubbles to disinfect the shower- (if your 14 month old is standing, and she probably will be, the shower is hand held so you can do this), a pack of Clorox Clean Ups (can you tell I'm a germophobe? ) and a small bottle of dish soap to wash out bottles or sippy cups. Also be advised that diapers and pull ups aren't allowed in the pool, so unless your 14 month old is a potty trained prodigy, she can't go in the pool. Anyway, the pools are tiny with a million kids jumping, splashing, etc. In a previous post I mentioned that we brought walkie talkies and they were a godsend.
Have fun!!
Suzanne
Old August 13th, 2001, 01:35 AM
Passenger

Hi!
I am traveling with my 18 month old baby girl on Adventure of the Seas 1/ 6/2002.
I bought a small baby pool that inflates, it's about 18 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall ít's big enough to fill and give her space to play and take a bath and at the end of the trip you just disinflate pack and go. I would like to know if the cribs
on RRCL are big or small? I am afraid that it might be uncomftarble,I booked a 9D
cat. It will be my husband, 10 year old son,baby and I. I would really like to hear about any other ideas.

Thanks,Mari
Old August 14th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Babies Cruising/Inflatable pool

I'm the family cruise editor here at CruiseMates.com. I thought Mari's idea of the small inflatable pool for her little one to splash and bath in is a good idea. Mari, where are you planning to put or use it -- on your cabin's verandah?
Obviously in your cabin it will be a bit tight space-wise with a crib but the Adventure of the Seas' staterooms are larger than some of the older Royal Caribbean ships such as Monarch, Sovereign and Majesty of the Seas. Your steward might be willing to fold up the crib each morning and then open it up for you at turn down service time at night.
You can see my previous email under this topic for add'l pointers about cruising with an infant/toddler. Let me know if you have other Q's.
Regards,
Luisa Frey Gaynor