Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2001, 08:21 AM
bell

Default Explorer of the Seas, Nov 10

I will be taking this trip in November with a 3 year old and an 11 year old. Can you tell me about the kids program ,what activities daily do they do?.

What do they do to keep a 3 year old pre occupied and is it safe.

Can they walk away and try to look over the rails. I am very concerned as this is my first time taking the kids , and normally they are alway with me and I tend to think my 3 year old may feel afraid since he does not normally stay with other children or friends. He is however, very friendly as long as he is preoccupied and does not notice mom is gone.

In addition, will it be too cold in November for them to enjoy the pool.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Explorer of the Seas, Nov 10

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com and my daughter cruised aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas when she was 3-1/2 years old. She enjoyed the youth program. Since the Explorer is a much bigger ship, it is probably good your cruise is not over a major holiday because they tend to get really large numbers of kids in the Adventure Ocean youth program then. For your 3 year old, they stay mostly in the youth rooms whereas the older kids have more activities in various parts of the ship, so I don't think you need to be concerned about safety. Besides arts 'n crafts, games, and Royal Caribbean's trademark Adventure Science (fun science activities) that the kids will do in the youth program, the ship has lots of fun things for kids to do with their families -- a medium spiral slide, splash pool, mini rock climbing wall in the youth room, video arcade, miniature golf, ice skating rink and an in-line skating area. They should have a great time. November will not be too cool to swim since you'll be in the warm Caribbean.
Enjoy the cruise!
Best,
Luisa
Old August 26th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Explorer of the Seas, Nov 10

Hi Bell,
Here is the information on the kids program for RCCL including Explorer, hope it will answer your questions. Having cruised on Explorer all the kids I ran across seemed to be having a ball, sure yours will too:

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL "ADVENTURE OCEAN PROGRAM"

Ships: Adventure of the Seas (Nov. 2001), Enchantment of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Nordic Empress, Radiance of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Splendor of the Seas, Viking Serenade, Vision of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas

Destinations: Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahamas, Mexico, Alaska, Europe, Hawaii, Australia/New Zealand, South America

Groups: Aquanauts 3 - 5; Explorers 6 - 8, Voyagers 9 -11, Navigators 12 - 14; Teens 15 - 17.

Counselors: Three to six per cruise.

Hours: For 3-11 year olds: 9:30 a.m.-Noon; 2-5 p.m.; 7-10 p.m. For 12-14 year olds: Times vary for day activities; evening hours 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. For 15-17 year olds: Times vary for day activities; evening hours 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Cool Teen Stuff: Teen discos/private clubs featured on all ships except Nordic Empress, Sovereign of the Seas, Viking Serenade.

Parent Savers: Group babysitting is available from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. for $5 an hour per child. Individual babysitting offered from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. for children six months to 10 years; fee is $8 per hour with a two-hour minimum. Cribs: Limited, request at booking time. On three nights during a seven-day cruise, children can eat with counselors from 6 to 7 p.m.

Not available: Strollers

Kids' Shore Excursions: Supervised activities available in Labadee and CocoCay, Royal Caribbean's private island.

Rates: Third- and fourth-passenger occupancy rates range from $449 to $999 and are applicable to children sharing a cabin with two adults.

Noteworthy Features: Adventure, Enchantment, Explorer, Grandeur, Legend, Radiance, Splendor, Vision, and Voyager of the Seas have the largest cabins in RCI's fleet, plus family suites. All ships offer Adventure Science, which is a fun, hands-on learning program.

Wow! Factor: On the Adventure, Explorer, Radiance and Voyager of the Seas, unique Send this Article to a Friend
kid-friendly activities include rock climbing, ice skating rink, basketball courts, roller-blading and a Johnny Rocket's concession at no extra cost. Extensive kids' pool and slide area (Adventure Beach) on Explorer, Voyager and Radiance of the Seas. Explorer of the Seas has an atmospheric and oceanographic lab where parents and children can tour and participate in interactive sessions with scientists aboard ship.
UNITED STATES LINE

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host