Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2001, 02:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Diana
Default cruise with a 3 year old

What a wonderful site! We are planning to cruise somtime between Dec and Feb for 7-10 days. We have an active 3 year old boy and want him to be both safe and entertained. We want to spend time with him, but also want a little couple time. Which ships would have the best kids program for a little guy?
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: cruise with a 3 year old

Hi Diana,
Here is a link for some great tips on cruising with family/kids, should help answer all your questions, have fun:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/families/index.cfm>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 10th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com. As Donna suggested, it'd be a great idea to read some of the articles I and others have written on the family section of this site. If you're looking for some of my personal favorites for family cruising with a pre-schooler (my 7 year old daughter has been on 9 cruises), here goes:
Princess Cruises: We liked the personal touch that the counselors lent to the program. The activities were creative and there was no shortage of t.l.c. for little ones if needed.
Disney Cruise Line: Disney has great facilities for pre-schoolers. I'd advise not sailing during a major school holiday however, since your little guy may get overwhelmed by the numbers of kids involved in the youth program at that time.
Carnival: If your son is 3 but not potty trained yet, then you may want to opt for Carnival. They are one of the few lines which accept kids two years plus in their program and also change diapers (Princess, Disney and most others do not.) However, as with Disney, don't go during a holiday week because there will be huge numbers of kids on board ship for the counselors to tend to.

Let me know what you decide.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old September 11th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Diana

Thank you so much. I did read the articles and they are so helpful. I appreciate the input on diapers (we are working on that issue with little success so far). I'll keep you posted. We have cruised as a childless couple before, on Holland America to Alaska and had a great time. But, as you may know, that is definetly not the best choice for kids. It seems that travel has become a whole new adventure with a child. A lot more work, but oh so much fun. Again, thank you for this wonderful website!

diana
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Therese Lafferty

Hi

we are planning to do an Alaskan cruise with our little guy in May. He is 3 now, but will be 4 in April...thankfully he has been toilet trained for some time now, which gives us a few options.

I would really love to hear about your experience when you return and hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Therese (Australia)