Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2001, 04:32 PM
Jillian

Default Age 6 and 16-Cruise from NYC

Hi: I need a great 5-7 day cruise leaving from NYC anytime in 2002 which has a great program for 2 age groups: kindergartener and a high schooler. Any suggestions. Also, what is best when booking for 4 in a cabin? What should I look for to accomodate 2 adults and our children? Help, we have never done this before. Need to keep the price down too. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2001, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Age 6 and 16-Cruise from NYC

Presuming that come this spring cruises will return to NY you might want to look into a 5 day Carnival to Nova Scotia and St John. I did the 4 day 18 months ago . There were 700 children of various ages on the ship and you would never really have knownit
Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com and we thoroughly enjoyed a seven-day Bermuda cruise out of NYC with our daughter when she was three years old. We sailed Celebrity Cruises which still operates seven day Bermuda cruises from April through October out of NYC. Other Bermuda operators from NYC include Royal Caribbean and Princess. All have great children and teen programs.
For shorter cruises out of NYC there is Carnival Cruises to Canada. They have a wonderful youth program and teen program too.
Let me know if you need more information.
Regards,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old January 6th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Janine

Thank you both, Bill and Luisa for your replies. I have decided upon an Aug 2002 cruise via Celebrity to Bermuda for our family of 4. Please help me to determine what cabin I should choose. Money is an issue. How important is having a window. I don't think much time is spent in the cabin but with 2 adults, 1 high schooler and a kindergartener, everyone has different needs for sleeping and moving around when confined to the cabins. Any suggestions? How does one deck differ from the other? Also, please give information about insurance. Is this necessary? Any ideas about how much spending money to bring? Thanks for your help.
Old January 6th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Jillian

Thank you both, Bill and Luisa for your replies. I have decided upon an Aug 2002 cruise via Celebrity to Bermuda for our family of 4. Please help me to determine what cabin I should choose. Money is an issue. How important is having a window. I don't think much time is spent in the cabin but with 2 adults, 1 high schooler and a kindergartener, everyone has different needs for sleeping and moving around when confined to the cabins. Any suggestions? How does one deck differ from the other? Also, please give information about insurance. Is this necessary? Any ideas about how much spending money to bring? Thanks for your help. Jillian
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Luisa

I'm so glad to hear that you decided to go on a Celebrity Bermuda cruise. My daughter's first cruise at three years old was on Celebrity's Zenith and she's been hooked every since! (She'll be going on her 10th cruise in April!) Celebrity has a good youth and teen program. Their food and service is top rate -- you won't be disappointed.
As for cabin selection, a travel agent might be your best best. If you can afford an outside cabin, it's worth it. You'll have 1-1/2 days in the beginning and end of the cruise at sea and having a sea view helps cut down on the crowded feeling you may get periodically with four people in a standard cabin.
As for money to bring, note that all your on board expenses except for tips can be charged to your credit card. Obviously, you'll want cash for taxi cabs, etc. once in Bermuda. I suggest travel insurance -- you just never know what life will bring and it's best to have insurance.
Feel free to contact me closer to your cruise and I can give you suggestions on things to do in Bermuda that would interest your children.
Smooth Sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor