CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Celebrity Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/276467-celebrity-cruises.html)

Maureen January 12th, 2002 11:33 PM

Celebrity Cruises

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are bringing our 3 sons (8,13,and 16) on the Celebrity Millennium for March Break (the 10th-17th) and I just wondered if the programs aboard this ship was in any way comparable to Royal Caribbean. This will be our sons 6th cruise and our 8th, we've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL with the kids and Chandris... the cruise line Celebrity used to be. Do they have a kids menu in the dining room? I've heard horror stories of kids being glared at everywhere they went (of course AFTER we booked the cruise). Are the kids counselors friendly? Do the wait staff appreciate kids at the table or are they an 'annoyance'? I was just hoping I could get some imput from you all before everything is set in stone and it's too late to cancel! I would appreciate ANY help you are willing to lend me, my 16 year old is driving me nuts that he's going to be stuck with his parents the whole week! Now then again that might be a good thing... thanks again.
Maureen

Luisa January 14th, 2002 12:02 PM

Re: Celebrity Cruises

I assume you know that Celebrity Cruises' youth program is offered on a a seasonal basis, meaning that it is only offered during the summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter and spring breaks ("spring break" varies by state so that this time period lasts many weeks aboard ship). I hope that your travel agent checked with Celebrity at your time of booking to make sure the youth/teen programs will be in place when you cruise in March.
That said, we took our three year old daughter on Celebrity many years ago (the first of her now nine cruises) and she was truly treated like a "celebrity" by the staff. We still laugh at the photos of her surrounded by doting waiters. Friends of mine recently cruised Celebrity with grade school children and were very happy with the youth program, counselors, security system in place, etc. Also, there should be a kids' menu in the main dining room.
Celebrity is a wonderful product -- excellent food, great facilities, and friendly staff. It should be a good cruise.
Smooth Sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

becky January 14th, 2002 02:20 PM

Re: Celebrity Cruises

We have sailed spring break with our children who are now 14 and 10. They love the Celebrity programs and have always had a blast. They were 4 and 8 on our first Celebrity cruise and have been treated like princesses each time we go. There is a children's menu, but they were encouraged to order from the adult menu as well. Many times they ordered a little from each. The last cruise we took, they didn't even look at the kids' menu because there is such variety on the regular menu there was always something they liked. And if they ordered it and didn't like it, they could order something else. I would recommend going to the Meet me on board feature to find others cruising with kids at the same time. My 14 year old met many fellow cruisers that way, arranged to meet on board, and had a "group" to hang out with from day 1. I think there ended up being around 8 of them. That really helped a lot as well.