Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bed railings for toddler bunks on Cruise?

I booked a 7-day Mexico cruise for our family on Carnival Elation, we have a 2yr old boy and almost 4 yr old boy. They could not give us a 1 bunk with rollaway, so we're stuck with 2 bunks. I'm wondering if there are any portable bed/railings that would work with the bunks or if the mattresses can be placed on the floor?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Bed railings for toddler bunks on Cruise?

Hi Margie,
So far on every cruise where we've had bunk beds there are already railings up there, along with a ladder you can take down or leave up. I see no reason though that you couldn't just put the matress on the floor if there is room???

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Bed railings for toddler bunks on Cruise?

I'm the family cruise editor for CruiseMates.com. When my daughter was young, she would usually sleep on the bottom bunk and still we'd often find her on the floor during the night. (Yes, she actually would fall out of bed and not even wake up!) Therefore, to this day (she's now 8), I still don't like to have her on the top bunk even though they have partial railings. I haven't had any luck getting a bed bar supplied by a cruise line so when she was young, we would often bring our own collapsible one which worked well. We probably bought it at a Toys 'R Us store. (After she fell out of the bed the first time on a Princess cruise, I told our steward and by that afternoon the engineering dept. had designed a pseudo-bed bar! It looked strange but did the trick! However, most lines may not be so cooperative!) As for mattresses on the floor, if you don't have a suite it might be a bit tight to do that.
Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old January 28th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Bed railings Thanks for the info

It's very helpful to know that the portable bed railings will work. I know Safety 1st makes them, so I'll get two and give them a try.