Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Vince

Default How to prepare for jet lag in Europe with kids?

We leave California on Thursday, June 20 at 10:00am and arrive in London on Friday, June 21 at 7:00am. We will have our 8 & 10 year old with us. It's our first trip to Europe and and our ship leaves on Saturday evening.
What's the best way to adjust to the time difference (8hrs).
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Luisa

Default Re: How to prepare for jet lag in Europe with kids

Dear Vince:
I think you had a number of posts this fall when you were deciding on what to do before and after a possible European cruise. I'm curious to see what you decided as far as what cruise you're taking and any land stays in Europe.
As for jet lag, you have an extra three hours time difference than I do here on the East Coast when flying to California...which of course makes the situation even more challenging! I've always found that you should try to have the kids stay up during day time hours in Europe and sleep when the Europeans do. Naps are okay but limit them so that the children get used to the new time difference as soon as possible. I know, my daughter is a great traveler, but adjusting to the time differences sometimes takes half of our cruise!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 30th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Vince

Luisa,

We booked the Constellation on the 14 day Northern Europe Cruise. We are going up one day early and coming back 2 days afterward.

Vince

P.S.

Any insight on the shore excursions (especially Le Havre) would be a big help.
Old January 31st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Luisa

Hi Vince:
LeHavre is one of the ports for Paris. I would advise either purchasing a transfer from the ship which will provide your transportation from LeHavre to a central spot in Paris or selecting a guided tour in Paris. (It's too far to go on your own -- it is at least a 2 hour drive from the port to Paris. Make sure your kids are well rested for a long, but thrilling day!) If you do the transfer, do a little research ahead of time and try to get a map of Paris so you can sightsee on your own. Sometimes kids like to go at their own pace rather with a guided group.
I helped edit a great guidebook called, "Cruise Vacations with Kids" (by Candyce Stapen, Prima Publishing) which offers excellent suggestions on what to do with kids in various ports. I wrote a section on European ports for kids and LeHavre/Paris is listed there. You may want to pick up a copy and research the other ports on your itinerary.
Have a wonderful cruise.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Vince, Celebrity should be offering a "Paris on your own tour". This would be the best of both for you and the family including transportation back & forth to Paris, a couple of hours overview tour, them time on your own. Don't miss Notre Dame as all kids must see that and of course seeing the Eiffel tower. I would skip standing in line to go to the top as it is too time consuming. We did the all day tour including Lunch on the Beau Marche but IU think kids would prefer the freedom of not being confined so much to a bus and boat. The luncheon was great for us and gave us a wonderful relaxing way to view Paris, especially since it was raining on our visit. We did the Western Europe on the Millennium, so if I can help with tour advice, don't hesitate to email me.
bon Voyage
Old February 7th, 2002, 08:36 PM
cat

oops..sorry.....just testing