Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM
kerstin

Default menu items for 3 yr old

We are travelling on the Paradise next month. Could anyone tell me what kind of menu for kids they have in the main dining room. My son is 3 and he does eat a few "grown-up" meals. But for the most part it's chicken, hotdogs, grilled cheese and he'll eat pasta (no sauce), etc.
He is actually pretty well behaved in restaurants, but who knows if he can sit through a long dinner every night. I hear you can bring the kids to Camp Carnival during the dinner hour ??? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: menu items for 3 yr old

I took my two sons ages 3 and 1 1/2 at the time on the Paradise 2 years ago. They have a nice selection of normal children's menu itemes in the dining room. Spaghetti and meatballs, mac and cheese, pb&j, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, etc. My kids loved it. My 3 yo was fine sitting in the dining room. My youngest I did have to take little walks, but was ok too.

As for leaving them in the program for dinner, generally no. On formal nights they do have a children's dinner, so IF your child will stay, he can have dinner with the other kids and you can eat alone. He may want to eat with you though. Ours stayed one formal night, and ate with us the other. We got so many compliments on how adorable they were all dressed up. You'll have fun, but do expect it to be a family vacation, and expect to be together most of the time. That way if he wants to be with you instead of in the program, you won't be disappointed, and there are a lot of nice things to do as a family. The kiddie pool is a lot of fun, but does become a wave pool with the ship's motion at times. Bring water and sand toys.

Have fun!

Cindy
Old February 10th, 2002, 04:51 PM
kerstin

Thank you so much for your ideas Cindy! I will take all your advise. I have been on several cruises before, but this is a first with our son. I do expect to be with him most of the time. But maybe my husband and I could go get a massage once (maybe twice! )

Kerstin
Old February 11th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor at CruiseMates.com. I sailed on Carnival two years ago with my 6 year old daughter and there was plenty of kids' food. She especially loved the pizzerias that Carnival has on its ships.
My daughter has been on 9 cruises and we've never had a dinner time problem. Yes, the counselors will take the kids to dinner on formal nights. What we usually do on the other nights is ask the waiter to bring her dinner as soon as its ready. Then after she has eaten, and between courses in our meal, one of us will take her up to the kids' room. (Generally the youth program is closed for an hour at dinner time so the counselors get time to eat too.) That way we have family dinner time together and my husband and I get to enjoy coffee and dessert alone too.
Carnival has great family activities -- make sure you check them out. We had a lot of fun playing Name that Tune, deck games, etc. together.
Smooth Sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor