Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Debbie Fox

Default Car Seat on Plane?

Has anyone brought their toddlers car seat on the plane? Is it too large so the tray can't be put down? Wondering if it will be worth the hassle, or should we just check it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Therese

Default Re: Car Seat on Plane?

we just plan to check ours in.

I think it depends on the airline. I don't think Qantas will let us use it on their seats. They wouldn't even let us use our baby seat. We have flown with him at 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 15 months, 2.5 years, 3.5 years and will fly again when he turns 4 ..at the end of April.

Therese
Old March 14th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Car Seat on Plane?

I'm the family cruise editor and our daughter has been flying since she was 6 months old. We plan to take our six month old on his first plane ride and cruise next month. I suggest calling the airline to get their regulations on the size car seat that the plane can accommodate. While we didn't always use a car seat when we flew with our daughter, I now demand it with our son. Better to be safe than sorry...
Regards,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old March 14th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Car Seat on Plane?

I'm the family cruise editor and our daughter has been flying since she was 6 months old. We plan to take our six month old on his first plane ride and cruise next month. I suggest calling the airline to get their regulations on the size car seat that the plane can accommodate. While we didn't always use a car seat when we flew with our daughter, I now demand it with our son. Better to be safe than sorry...
Regards,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

We always bring the car seats on the plane. They fit just fine on Northwest, American Airlines, Southwest, America Trans Air. We couldn't use the seatback meal tray, however. We just kind of handed food to our kids and used sippy cups and bottles. Most of the kid food served was finger food and of course we brought our own snacks for them. The car seats helped so much, they are less restless in them vs. when I held them on my lap. They fell asleep for most of our trips just like they do in the car.
Old March 28th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took the seat on the plane - if a child needs it in a car - why not a plane where a crash is more dangerous? Just be careful how you tighten the seatbelt. The first time we tightened it in such a way that we couldn't lift the metal flap to release the buckle - they're not push buttons like most cars and we never thought about it. They had to bring in someone from maitenance to remove the bolts in the floor to get it undone. Luckily I had taken our son off the plane so he didn't hear what his father was saying!!!
Old May 1st, 2002, 01:03 AM
Loriann

Default Re: Re: Re: Car Seat on Plane?

I've always traveled with carseats as well, but since this is our first cruise, I'm thinking that they'll just be in the way. What do you do with them on the ship?
Old June 4th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Weezie

We've brought ours along. Fits ok in the seat and provides a safer ride for our 2 yr old. Re tray, I'm assuming you mean the seat tray hooked to the seat in front of you? If so, wasn't a problem for us. Good luck! We will take ours again in the fall.