Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann
Default infant charged adult price.

During my hunt for Carnival tickets, I am disturbed to find that my children are being charged close to or the same fare as adults are. I guess I wouldn't be as bothered if my kids were in their teens. But the kicker is that my 2 girls are only 2 years old and 10 months old. I can be somewhat understandable for the fare for my 2 year old because of the programs that Carnival has to offer....but my infant? She only nurses and probably would be with me all the time having no appreciation for the entertainment nor the view of the ocean. So am I the only one bothered by this? Or am I just clueless about the cruise industry being this is our first cruise? I've contact Carnival in hopes they can work with me on this. i will take any suggestions also. Oh, and my husband...who has less patience then me....said to forget it all. I think I have a case......
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: infant charged adult price.

I agree, on the surface, this practice seems unfair. The cruise line logic is much the same as what they decide to charge for singles cruising.

The reasoning I think is the total number of berths available on the ship in relation to the income they hope to generate from those berths.

Simply.. if a "spot" on the ship is taken by a child, or single in a cabin for two, the revenue that berth will generate in onboard expenditures is significantly reduced from what an adult would spend.

Right or wrong.. that's the logic.

Old April 19th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with you, but don't think you'll get Carnival to change. We paid only $100 less than full fare for our 2yr old and 4 yr old boys. Carnival has a very limited number of cabins with 4 berths and I doubt that 4 adults would want to stay that way. It only makes sense for families with young children. Otherwise, adults and families with older kids just get extra cabins because there isn't much cost difference. So in that sense, yes, they are ripping off families with little ones. Your right about Camp C, that is a benefit for the 2 and ups. But babies, com on that is a straight rip off. Maybe they want to discourage parents from taking the babies with, but some of us don't have relatives to leave them with or don't want to do that. Good luck it's always worth a try with Carnival. Let us know how it turns out.
Old April 19th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Passenger

I don't know about Carnival but we just booked a cruise on Royal Caribbean and the price for our 3 yr old was only $179 which is signifigantly less than our fare. They also have a children's program so there is no difference. I'm surprised they would charge full fare for a child who is sharing a room with parents.
Old April 19th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: infant charged adult price.

Well, Carnival hasn't called me back yet. So my husbands going to give a them a 'nice' buzz. Today was especially heck for us. Last night I recieved a quote that was feasible. Than I called today and it went up $700.00 dollars!! Lesson 1 for us...hold it, hold it and hold it. So I'll let you know how the Carnival and husband thing goes. (He's more confrontational) Oh, and your right...we have no relatives in town...so that was a factor in bringing our baby.
Old April 19th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: infant charged adult price.

Well, Carnvial says its the agency's call on prices and the agency says it's the cruise line. My husband says "Unless the President of Carnival calls with a deal, forget it". So all was kinda disappointing. But definitely a learning experience. We are now "Future First Time Cruisers" instead of "First Time Cruisers". I'll give it another whirl one day. Until then, have fun everyone!!!
Old April 22nd, 2002, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to hear it's been so frustrating. Unfortunately, although expensive for the kids, we really enjoyed our Carnival cruise. You should try planning again after you regroup. I did notice RCCL was less for kids but their program doesn't take under 2s. Some cruiselines offer babysitting for the little ones. I hope you get in the mood again and start checking. Good luck
Old April 22nd, 2002, 09:02 PM
Passenger

I guess I have been fortunate with Carnival. We have been able to secure a much discounted rate for our two kids (ages 9 and 11) for several cruises as long as they are in the same room as us (which isn't a problem since we don't spend much time in our cabin, anyways).

Last year, the kids sailed for a week for $60.00 U.S. The port taxes remain the same for each of us but the actual cruise fare has been much less. The big joke in our family is that Carnival actually loses money on our 9 year old within an hour of embarkation because he is a growing boy and consumes more food than is humanly possible!

I am actually more resentful of the fares that the airlines charge us to get there!! Multiply airfare times 4 and it's an expensive proposition. So much so that we have opted to drive to Miami this year (from Ontario, Canada) because it is still cheaper paying for a hotel and meals on the road!

Check with any travel agency to see if they have group space available on any cruises. Many of them reserve a block of space to sell to their clients and get a discounted fare.

This has worked well for us in the past and I have just booked 2 more cruises with great rates for all of us.

Keep trying and good luck. Once you go you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

kp
Old April 24th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: infant charged adult price.

Carnival wrote me this back to me: Since we sail at over 100% occupancy throughout the year, the company's bases it's profit objective on having revenue guests occupy each available berth on the ship. Every guest that sails on Carnival, regardless of age, counts towards the maximum passenger count that is allowed by the US Coast Guard. Infants are charged the prevailing child rate for third and fourth guests since we would otherwise be restricted from selling that berth to another paying guest. Many times thoughout the year, we will implement reduced rates for 3rd and 4th guests traveling in a cabin with 2 full fare guests. When scheduling your trip, you may want to inquire as to the availability of this reduced rate since it could afford you a considerable savings.

So in short....my 10 month old is going to cost $800.00. In the words of my husband, "Price gouging, blood sucking people...."

I'll try again for next year...this time I will reserve 2 years ahead......
Old May 24th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: infant charged adult price.

Check internet DAILY for specials! If they come up, you will get them if you know and contact the cruise line directly. Our cruise on the Explorer for 7 days cost us under 2800 INCLUDING port taxes because we kept our eyes open. We had an outside window.

Princess seems to discount kids better than Carnival, so keep that line in mind as well. Grand has a WONDERFUL kids pool. We went on that last year. Here's the link to that cruise web page for you to copy and paste into your browser.

http://home.talkcity.com/OceanBlvd/cruiseaholics/