Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2002, 07:37 AM
Passenger

Default special needs child

Hi yall, a quick couple of questions for those out their with any special needs children. I am going on the sensation and wanted to know if anyone has been on a Carnival for a 7 day with an Autistic child. Should mention that my daughter has minamal verbal skills and understand alot. But she does have some hyper activity. I wanted to know if Camp Carnival is good for a child like her. Thanks Lynnie
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Luisa

Default Re: special needs child

I have been on Carnival but don't know how they are with special needs children. If it doesn't work out with the youth program there are two good options on Carnival that your daughter will probably enjoy: the spiral water slide is a lot of fun and keeps kids busy for hours; Camp Carnival features a number of family activities that are fun and that you can participate with your daughter. That way, you'll be able to keep an eye on her while having some fun together. The family activities range from arts 'n crafts night, to deck games, to a family disco night.
Actually, I was recently on Disney Cruise Line and they said that their counselors deal with special needs children well. Might keep them in mind for the future.
I hope you have a great cruise and I'd like to hear back from you upon your return.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: special needs child

Thank you Luisa for you insight. I will let you know how the trip goes when we get back. Lynnie
Old June 14th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Tracyee

Default Re: special needs child

June 24th we leave for Carnival Fascination with a group of about 40 people (1 year - 60+). Included is my 2 year old typical daughter and my 4year disabled son. He has no independent skills and uses a wheeelchair but is very social (smiles, coos, laughs) and is very visually aware. I am not expecting the Camp Carnival staff to do anything as far as diaper changes or feeds but I am hoping that they will allow him to attend the activities in the playroom. He loves watching video and computer games, story time, etc... We are hoping that he will also be able to do the group sitting at night as he is sound asleep by 9pm.

I will be certain to post our experience when we return. For future cruises, I may look at Disney.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: special needs child

I am taking my 8 year old daughter who has pdd-nos on the Aug. 19 Carnival Triumph cruise to Canada. She has verbal skills but has other problems. I will let you know how the staff handles her. I hope to sit in on the activities for "just in case". Hopefully all will go well.Tracyee wrote:

> June 24th we leave for Carnival Fascination with a group of
> about 40 people (1 year - 60+). Included is my 2 year old
> typical daughter and my 4year disabled son. He has no
> independent skills and uses a wheeelchair but is very social
> (smiles, coos, laughs) and is very visually aware. I am not
> expecting the Camp Carnival staff to do anything as far as
> diaper changes or feeds but I am hoping that they will allow
> him to attend the activities in the playroom. He loves
> watching video and computer games, story time, etc... We are
> hoping that he will also be able to do the group sitting at
> night as he is sound asleep by 9pm.
>
> I will be certain to post our experience when we return. For
> future cruises, I may look at Disney.
Old July 17th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: special needs child

I am also traveling with my 8 yr old son who has PDD. He is very verbal and sociable. I'm hoping he'll be able to participate in kid's activities. If anyone comes back from their trip soon, pls let me know how you made out with your child.
Old August 26th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Inez Gutman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: special needs child

I just got back from Carnival Triumph trip to Canada. It worked out well for my daughter who has PDD but is past the point where loud noises bother her. Also she wasn't over stimulated at age 8 but would have been at age 5. There were so many kids on that cruise that if some one found her socially a bit "weird" she just moved on till she found a suitable playmate. We never did the Camp Carnival because all she wanted to do was hang out at the pools where so many kids where. At night I brought a coloring book to the dining room to keep here busy when the waiters weren't fussing over her. The shows where great, bingo was great and now I need a vacation from my vacation.
Old September 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: special needs child

I just returned from an 11 night trip on the Galaxy with my 8 yr old son who has PDD. He had the best time! He loved the kids program, the counselers were great with him. We never saw him, only at lunch and dinner time. He is very verbal and sociable so that helped. I guess some kids thought he talked a little funny, but he got along well with them. I would definitely do it again.