Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Default Disney with 2 little ones

Hello again,
Well....we are this close (fingers almost pinched <smile>) to booking a 4 day cruise out of port canaveral on disney wonder in sept. for a cat. 6 verandah. (does $843/per adult sound good??) We have a 2 y/o and a 7 mo old. A couple of quick questions as I have read most of the posts and all that Louisa has to say (i think...you have been such a help!)

Since we can't put Chase (actually either of our boys) into any programs (not even with us there?) will we be able to eat alone at least once? My question is really about the times for the group babysitting. The agent at cruise411 couldn't give me any specifics and said they will post it when you sail???

And Palo's sounds like the way to go on that one....how much extra is it a person?

We were going to do the air on our own and puchase the transfers from the airport. Sound risky?

This being our first cruise we hope we are choosing the right one for our needs. I appreciate any more insight you can give

Thanks!!!! Amy
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Disney with 2 little ones

Amy:
Thanks for the compliments -- glad to hear my articles are useful!
We just returned from the Adventure of the Seas which was a perfect ship for my 8 year old daughter -- rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf, etc. However, there wasn't anything there for my 9 month old son -- private babysitting starts for those one year and older and those in diapers can't go in the great splash pools. While my husband and I loved the ship and my daughter had a blast at the kids' program, I felt bad that little Ethan couldn't even go in the splash pool. It made me realize that for those with infants and toddlers who are not potty trained, Disney is the way to go. Not only can children with swim diapers go in the splash pool, there is the group baby sitting in the nursery for them. The hours for the nursery vary but generally there is a morning or afternoon session and a daily evening session at FLounder's Reef Nursery. As soon as you embark, head to Palo's and make a dinner reservation for you and your spouse. Then bee line down to Flounder's nursery and make a baby sitting res for the same night for your two little ones. You won't be disappointed! (Palo's is only $5 per person.) You may even want to schedule a few baby sitting sessions during the cruise. We had Ethan go for three two-hour sessions (we were on the 7 day cruise) and he seemed to really like the counselors there. No regrets...
Feel free to ask any more Q's... I hope you book the cruise!
Best,
Luisa
Old July 1st, 2002, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Disney with 2 little ones

thanks so much for the insight Luisa!!
Good to hear disney's the one. What did you think of the price: $1,914 for all of of in a cat. 6 Verandah room. I also wanted to ask before booking about a room that is available and location....
I'm not sure you have actually been on the disney Wonder...but my question is more about the elevator and noise level. Deck 6 has only rooms and they have a room available near the elevators (looks like 2 doors down). My questions is...does the elevator "ding" and if so, can you hear it in the rooms? I can just imagine my 2 year old saying "bell" everytime the elevator stops on the floor!<grin>

Thanks again for any input you have

Amy
Old July 2nd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Disney with 2 little ones

Dear Amy:
Keep in mind that Disney isn't the cheapest cruise line out there, however you do get a lot of on board programming and "extras" for the money.
As for the elevator, we have been on both the Disney Wonder and most recently the Magic. (They are sister ships and pretty much identical.) Actually, on our April cruise on the Magic, we were relieved that our cabin was right across from the elevator since our infant wakes up early. We would quickly put him in the stroller and go to a public room via the elevator so as not to disturb my older daughter at 5:30 a.m.! I didn't notice hearing any elevator noise so I think you should be fine.
With the ages of your young children, I think you'll be happy you chose Disney. I hope this is helpful.
Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor