Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Default Where do kids sleep?

Hello. I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have read through two books and a magazine on cruising and I'm still lost. Most cruise line web-pages I have seen say that they have reduced rates for children staying in their parents cabin with existing bedding....but most rooms look like they have only two single beds. Where do the kids sleep? I have two daughters who will be ages 7 and 11 at the time I am looking to cruise...can we all sleep in one room? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Default Re: Where do kids sleep?

If you book early enough you can get a quad room. That is 2 twins on the floor and 2 wall fold down beds. They only book so many quad rooms because they want to fill the ship and they can only carry so many people. They don't want to fill them with quad rates and have empty rooms. You do get a better rate for the kids or whoever fills out the 3rd and 4th person in a quad room but those rooms do go fast.

We went on a cruise at Thanksgiving and booked the last 2 rooms. No quads left. They put us beside each other and it actually worked best for us having a 13yr girl and 11 yr boy . Sometimes we split up 1 kid and 1 adult in a room and sometimes me and hubby slept in same room. One of our rooms did have the 2 fold down beds plus we noticed a nice trundle bed under one of the twin floor beds. It was movable to anywhere in the room. So I guess that room could have technically slept 5.

We are sailing out tomorrow (7th) for a week cruise. We went ahead and got 2 rooms beside each other again. Kids now 14 and 12. Daughter looks forward to staying out late in the teen disco. She just has to check in with us at 1:00am and go to her room then. She doesn't get to stay out near that late at home but we feel comfortable with supervised teen disco and trust our daughter. We let our kids roam the ship and be with their new friends. Of course we had check- ins every few hours. They ate dinner with us in the diningroom and did shore excursions with us too. But we felt safe letting them do their own thing on the ship. They went to scheduled kids activites and make many new friends. Still in contact with some.

If you have not already booked try some of the cruise only 800 numbers in the travel section of a big newspaper. We checked with our travel agent and tried the 800 #'s for first time. We got a way better deal with the cruises only companies. We used Cruisesonly. They do have a website or 800 #. We checked by phone. Most of them will try to beat your price from other sites so check around.

Happy Cruising!!!
Old July 6th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Where do kids sleep?

Hi Kirsten,
Just look through the cruise brouchures and find the cabins that will sleep 4, they tend to book quickly, so check with a good travel agent, they should be able to help you find the right ship and cruise for you and your family.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 8th, 2002, 11:28 AM

we travelled with our 4 year old. He sleeps with us so it wasn't a problem, but we still had to pay for him on Carnival. Our room had two beds that were pushed together to make a King, but we also had a pull down bunk bed type thing and the sofa underneath could also convert to a bed.
Old July 11th, 2002, 12:11 PM

They usually have beds that pull down from the walls or are hidden under the other beds

book, children, childrens, cruise, cruises, cruising, families, kids, room, rooms, ship, sleep, sleeping, staterooms, stay