Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Default Swimming pools - toddlers

Luisa: This concerns Royal Caribbean and toddlers in the pools. You mentioned your 9 month old wasn't allowed in. How are the pool rules enforced? Is a swim diaper enough? How about a swimsuit with a built in swim diaper (looks like no diaper)? Rubber pants over everything? Is someone checking? Our two year old swims every day so no pool will be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Luisa

Default Re: Swimming pools - toddlers

Yes, I was disappointed at Royal Caribbean's policy. There's a sign by the splash pool on the Adventure, Voyager and Explorer of the Seas that only toilet trained kids are allowed. (No swim diapers allowed.) However, we didn't realize this the first day and my husband did bring our infant into the pool in the morning and there was no one around to enforce the policy. In the afternoon when the spiral slide by the splash pool is open, there is personnel there so it is probably enforced more then. (We didn't bring Ethan back to the pool after the first time.) Our itinerary had five ports so we got plenty of opportunities to bring baby Ethan into the Caribbean water instead.
Since the cruise, I've found out that most lines don't want babies with any kind of diaper or swim diaper in the pools except for Disney Cruise Line. Hope this is helpful!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old July 12th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Swimming pools - toddlers

Thank you for the information on your RCL cruise. We have found toddler swimsuits that have a built in cloth diaper and are going to see if there are any leaks - actually, so far, without the swim diaper, our daughter has been getting out of the pool asking to go potty (this may be the most unusual method of toilet training I've heard of) but she must recognize the difference - so she may be toilet trained at least for pools by August! If we see no leaks then I think we will just let her in the pools and we'll watch very carefully. (Afterall, toilet trained children still have accidents - not to mention lazy people who've had a couple of beers!)
Old July 15th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Re: Swimming pools - toddlers

Hi Fred:
Where did you find the swim suits with the built in diapers? If it's from a catalogue or on line, let me know. I'd love to order some for my little guy too.
Sounds like a good idea -- hope it works out for you.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Swimming pools - toddlers

My wife says they have boys versions of these at Chocolate Soup (which is a children's clothes boutique store in Kansas City 913-381-5525) she says they'd ship one to you to look at - it's a great store.
Old July 27th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Therese

Hi

where we take our son for swimming lessons (since he was 4 months old) they have a no diaper policy. Since a very early age he has actually asked to leave the pool to go to the bathroom, which is great! I even wonder if this helped speed up his potty training.

Apparently it is rare for a baby or young child to poop in water and diapers harbor more bacteria etc than if they do happen to pee...the filter system etc is supposed to be able to handle it...well, that's what our local pool says

Therese
Old August 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
Trudy

What would be best to use on a toddler? Swim diapers? Swimsuits with built in diapers? Where can I find these?
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Early in the season you can also get them in the toddler section of Dept stores. I've gotten my boys suits at Macy's, almost every toddler or infant suit had a "built in diaper"

Cindy

Thankfully don't need them anymore though and haven't in a while! YAY!
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:12 PM
weezie

Luisa - Talbots has them for girls at least - they are on sale right now as it's the end of the season. LLBean may have them as well or perhaps Lands End.