Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2003, 01:44 PM
hlherth

Default Back-to-Back bookings

Norwegian Cruise Lines refuses to honor issued tickets on "back-to-back" cruises.

The slated itinerary is (was) as follows: Cruise One--Board in Los Angeles, CA with an ending, and attendant disembarkation, in Vancouver, BC, at approximately 8 a.m. Cruise Two--Back on same ship (Norwegian Sun) same day with departure at approximately 5 p.m. Cruise to Alaska for seven nights and finally terminating in Seattle, WA for "final" disembarkation.

I don't have access to total language contained in above-referenced Acts but don't see where we did anything "wrong" which should result in the cruise lines' refusal to admit boarding.

Anyone's thoughts or advice appreciated.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Back-to-Back bookings

I think you really need the advice of an expert, but , back to back cruises are booked all the time. There has to be something more than you are telling or are being told.
How do you know you are being refused boarding, did it already happen? Were you left standing at the pier as the ship sailed away? Please elaborate on this situation as what you have described so far doesn't make sense.
1) when is/was this cruise?
2) how booked ? TA, on line, direct with Norwegian?
3) any payment isssues exist?
4) any documentation issues exist?
5) who told you you couldn't board? Has that already happened or is not boarding a future event?
6) why exactly were you told you could not board?
7) who have you spoken to about this situation?
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM
hlherth

Default Re: Re: Back-to-Back bookings

Sorry for delay in response -- just returned home from BACK-TO-BACK cruise! Tickets were bought on-line at Travelocity. After full payment and receipt of tickets, received call from them saying that they had been contacted by NCL informing that one of cruises must be cancelled as in violation of the Jones Act.

Called NCL and first "Customer Service" person said she saw no problem: "Let me check with Supervisor." Came back with response that one of cruises must be cancelled -- violation of Jones Act. Asked to speak with Supervisor who gave same response.

Since I had tickets in hand, decided to just go and see what happened. On first cruise, Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC, I asked at "Reception Desk" on ship about situation. (Gave no ticket numbers or names, of course)! Was given same response: no can do, violation of Jones Act.

Got to Vancouver, BC and disembarked. Grabbed luggage and got in line to embark on next leg: Vancouver, BC, up the Inland Passage to Alaska, returning to Seattle, WA for final disembarkation. Absolutely no problem: had a great trip.

Sure caused some nervous moments though waiting to see if my group (including two 80-year-old women) were going to be denied boarding at some point. All's well that ends well I suppose. -- Larry
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Allan

What is the Jones Act?
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Allan,
You may want to read through this old thread to get a feeling what exactly the "Jones Act" is:

http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=10445&t=10443

Message Boards Moderator